test xamlx WF RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    i've created a WF using "WCF service application" template wizard.
    My question is:
     is possible test this wizard without using wcftestclient proxy but using the declarative xamlx file like a class?
    Thanks in advance.
    Felix

Monday, September 28, 2009 3:04 PM

Answers

• XAMLX is not really representing a class, you can see that by having no x:Class attribute in the XAMLX file. As a result, in the generated assembly (i.e. DLL file), there is no class representing the workflow service.

To use a XAMLX workflow service, you have to host it. After you hosted the service (using F5/Ctrl+F5) or otherwise, you can use Add Service Reference to generate a proxy to access this workflow service. That allow you to automate your testing by calling those services just as your client would do.

Is it a scenario for you to access a workflow service without hosting it? That was possible with code based WCF service but not for workflow services.
    • Marked as answer by WordWarrior Friday, October 2, 2009 8:22 AM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:38 AM
  • You could try factoring your Service into two parts (two workflows). The first part is responsible for handling message send/receive and calls to the second part - this first part is the XAMLX file you create with the template wizard. The second part can really be a workflow class, i.e. created using an Activity item template to, which is a XAML file containing the x:Class directive, as Andrew mentions.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:11 PM

All replies

• XAMLX is not really representing a class, you can see that by having no x:Class attribute in the XAMLX file. As a result, in the generated assembly (i.e. DLL file), there is no class representing the workflow service.

To use a XAMLX workflow service, you have to host it. After you hosted the service (using F5/Ctrl+F5) or otherwise, you can use Add Service Reference to generate a proxy to access this workflow service. That allow you to automate your testing by calling those services just as your client would do.

Is it a scenario for you to access a workflow service without hosting it? That was possible with code based WCF service but not for workflow services.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 6:38 AM
  • You could try factoring your Service into two parts (two workflows). The first part is responsible for handling message send/receive and calls to the second part - this first part is the XAMLX file you create with the template wizard. The second part can really be a workflow class, i.e. created using an Activity item template to, which is a XAML file containing the x:Class directive, as Andrew mentions.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:11 PM
  • thanks for yours response now all is clear.
    Friday, October 2, 2009 8:22 AM