none
The WinDBG kernel debug always says "waiting to reconnect" with nothing appearing RRS feed

• Question

• I am debugging with port number and key, and whenever I try to connect to the target computer for kernel debug, A message box says: 
    Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.17763.1 AMD64
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Using NET for debugging
    Opened WinSock 2.0
    Waiting to reconnect...

Nothing else appears. Please help. Debug->break won't work, and I was able to connect with visual studio, so I should be able to connect with WinDBG.

Sunday, June 9, 2019 11:25 PM

All replies

• Is the port in the 50000-50039 range? Is the port open in your host's firewall? Using complicated keys can also be a problem. Try 1.2.3.4

Here is a PowerShell script that I use to configure a target using IPv4:

#
    # Configure this machine to connect to another host over Ethernet for kernel debugging
    #

[CmdLetBinding ()]
    param
        (
        [Parameter (Mandatory=$true, HelpMessage="Name of host running WinDBG")]
        [ValidateNotNullOrEmpty ()]
        [string] $Hostname
        )

$ipv4_addr = (Resolve-DnsName $Hostname).IP4Address
    bcdedit /dbgsettings net hostip:$ipv4_addr port:50000 key:1.2.3.4 | Out-Null
    bcdedit /debug on | Out-Null

Write-Host "Configured to attach kernel debugger to $Hostname @ $ipv4_addr"
    Write-Host "You must reboot for these settings to take effect"

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Monday, June 10, 2019 12:51 AM
  • It still doesnt work. Even with your powershell script.
    Monday, June 10, 2019 9:31 AM
  • You haven't really told us very much.  Perhaps you should show us the exact commands you are using.  Remember that both sides (the target being debugged, and the host running windbg) have to use the same port number and the same key.  The target has to be told the IP address of the windbg machine, and the windbg machine has to be told the IP address of the target.  Further, both machines have to be on the same subnet.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Monday, June 10, 2019 6:38 PM