Launch RDP Metro app from another Metro app RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to launch the RDP Metro app which would initiate an RDP connection from another app.  Maybe via a share contract such as protocol activation?
    Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Tool4scs,

No you cannot establish RDP communication (or any type of socket communication).  You could use some sort of protocol activation scheme.  What is your scenario?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:23 PM
  • We provide remote desktop capabilities in our product, one of the methods is to connect the client via RDP.  We are developing a Metro client for our product and noticed there is a Metro RDP implementation.  It would be nice to chain from our Metro app to the RDP Metro app to establish a connection to the remote computer.

In our C++ client for Windows, we just create a process to "mstsc.exe /v:10.10.10.10".  Is there a way to either tell Metro RDP to start a connection to a host or someway to create a profile and then have Metro RDP launch it?

Bret Zarkiewicz

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:31 PM
  • Hi Bret,

Wow... I was thinking about RPC... (not enough coffee today).

There is an RDP ActiveX control.  See this thread: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winappswithhtml5/thread/9b4e252c-7524-4866-9c5d-4ecbc8748dcd

You could use that I believe.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Looks promising, so basically I would retrieve the RDP settings property and then call Connect().  Do you know if this just launches the Metro RDP app?

Bret Zarkiewicz

Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:50 PM
  • Hi Bret,

Were you able to use this RDP interface successfully?

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:37 PM
  • We haven't been able to figure it out.  Is there sample code somewhere that outlines how to use this interface?  Also, is using this interface possible from a Metro app?

Because Microsoft has built a RDP Metro app, it seems like the simplest and most logical solution would be to launch that app from our Metro app either via a sharing contract or file association.

Bret Zarkiewicz

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 1:43 PM
  • No there is no sample but you can look at the app itself!

c:\windows\ImmersiveRemoteDesktop

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Thanks, looking at that project I do not see it using the IRemoteDesktopClient interface at all.

Bret Zarkiewicz

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 3:33 PM