VS2012 SQL Server 2012 CustomReportItem not shown on toolbox RRS feed

• Question

• Im not pretty sure posting on this forum but want to try.

I have a custom report item which works fine with VS2010 and MSSQL2012.

But, when i created new report project (Business Intelligence Wizard), im unable to add my custom report item to toolbox.

I, as usually, selected Choose Items, selected my dll, and in the grid i dont see my report item. My attributes for CustomReportItem are:

[CustomReportItem("NAME"),
         DefaultProperty("CodeText"),
         LocalizedName("PROJECT NAME"),
         Editor(typeof (CustomEditor), typeof (ComponentEditor)),
         Description("NAME Designer")]
        [ToolboxBitmap(typeof (NAMEDesigner), "NAMEDesigner.bmp")]
        [System.CLSCompliant(false)]

I just replaced some text with NAME wording.

So why my report item is absent ? Maybe need another attributes in VS2012?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Alex,

The custom report item consists of a run-time component, which is called by the report processor at run time, and a design-time component, which allows the custom report item to be available in Report Designer. In your scenario, the custom report item not shown on your textbox, please ensure that you have create the custom report item and deploy it successful, you can refer to the link below to check it.
    Custom Report Items

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:35 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:40 AM

All replies

• Nobody can help with this ?

It seems as MS bug, as i googled.

I already downloaded SP3 for VS2012, and no luck.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:39 AM
  • Hi Alex,

The custom report item consists of a run-time component, which is called by the report processor at run time, and a design-time component, which allows the custom report item to be available in Report Designer. In your scenario, the custom report item not shown on your textbox, please ensure that you have create the custom report item and deploy it successful, you can refer to the link below to check it.
    Custom Report Items

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, August 15, 2013 1:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:35 PM
    Monday, August 12, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Thanks Charlie.

Need to say this custom report item already works for SQL2000 / SQL2005 / SQL2008 / SQL2008R2 / SQL2012 (VS2010).

So its multiversion project (for sure i use some #if statements when required).

And this custom report item works fine in VS2010 and MSSQL2012 Reporting Services.

But only in VS2012 i'm unable to add report item to toolbox from my dll (any other VSs versions allows).

Moreover i even can open VS2010 test report project in VS2012, and able to see my report item (inside report) and even it works fine.

But unable to add my item to toolbox.

So its seems like a problem with toolbox in VS2012.

Or (for VS2012) i need to set more / another attributes for my report designer class ?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:42 PM
  • [CustomReportItem("MyName"),
         DefaultProperty("CodeText"),
         LocalizedName("MyCompany MyName"),
         Editor(typeof (CustomEditor), typeof (ComponentEditor)),
         Description("MyName description")]
        [ToolboxBitmap(typeof (MyName ReportItemDesigner), "MyName Designer.bmp")]
        [System.CLSCompliant(false)]
        public class MyNameReportItemDesigner : CustomReportItemDesigner, IReportPropertyProvider
    These attributes i have for my CustomReportItemDesigner class
    Tuesday, August 20, 2013 2:51 PM
  • No MS's answer ? We can't release our product for VS2012 because of this bug.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 4:32 PM
  • Any useful answer ?
    Friday, August 30, 2013 7:08 AM
  • Still no answer?

I have the same issue.  Trying to add custom report item to toolbox returns "There are no components...that can be added to the toolbox".  I have all the before mentioned attributes.  It can be added to the VS2010 toolbox.  I can add the item to a report by editing the report code directly.  And of course VS2013 doesn't support any of this!?

Some help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Thursday, January 30, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Anyone still following this?  I am trying to create my first custom SSRS component in VS2013 and I cannot figure out what references I need.  (Where is CustomReportItemDesigner?)

Anyone else able to do this?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 6:11 PM