none
a floating editable region and a huge space below a table are driving to think of Dreamweaver again RRS feed

• Question

• EW4 (trial, newly downloaded).

I've learned enough to make a site; Have uploaded it to a web server, etc.  I understand templates and editable regions, and am now wanting to get a bit more fancy.

1) This looks broken ; my main editable region's yellow border floats around the page; it's now 1/2 the screen below where it should be. The template looks ok, and SOME pages made with it are fine.   ?   

2) I placed a table ( YES, I know it's "bad form"; but EW lets me do it ! makes it easy !)  on a page (not the pages in trouble with the float) and it looks great, but below it is a huge space. Cant snug it up.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:38 PM

All replies

• If you want to use Dreamweaver, go ahead.  Pay a lot more money, but expect that the same coding will, in fact, produce the exact same results.

Also: Read the first post in the forum, which you should read before posting: "FAQ - Start Here".

It will explain what you have to do to get help from people who are not psychic and who cannot do remote viewing to your computer.  :)

The first paragraph also has a link to an article you should read, explaining what you need to know to use EW.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Stop blaming the tool. This is a user error. Dollars to donuts it's the same user error you'd make in Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver and Expression Web are very similar and very good tools. They are like BMW and Mercedes, both fine cars. But if you drive drunk and plow into a tree going 100mph you can't blame the cars, can you? But, use whichever you want. We. Don't. Care. Your threats mean nothing to us. At least 4 active members of this forum use Dreamweaver, including me (although almost never now, since switching to EW a few years ago).

As for tables, they are not "bad form". They are perfectly useful. If you paid attention to the discussions, you'd understand that they are only bad form for PAGE LAYOUT. Tables are designed to be used for tabular data; if that's what you've done, that's fine.

If you want help, though, since all the psychics are out at the moment, you'll have to post a link to the site and point out the page with the error so that we can see it.

"If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse." Henry Ford
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:57 PM
  • I rather doubt the problem is with EW but more likely because you did something. What you did nobody knows nor can help you because you haven't provided a single bit of information about what you have actually done or showed anyone a link to your page.

Rule number one with display issues if provide a link to the problem page even if it is posted only to a temporary locations (test folder on your site perhaps) and if you have a page that is working correctly post a link to that for comparison.

Really, blaming the tool is not going to help you and I expect if you do the above we'll see that you did something like dragging contents around in Design view that added the space to some pages and not others. The same thing happens when people do the same behavior in Dreamweaver.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:12 PM