none
Why will Visual studio not open after I updated to windows 10

Question

• First let me state that I am a beginner trying to learn to to write code with Visual Studio Community.  I have installed and uninstalled the program 3 times already and lastly ran an update to ensure compatibility with windows 10.  Whenever I try to open it, all it does is make a chime noise, I have also tried to open as an administrator and still I get the chime.  I am frustrated and need advice, please help!  
    Sunday, July 17, 2016 2:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Dave,

Thank you for your post.

I have met some community members who encountered similar issue as yours, their VS got crashed after upgrading to win 10.

Sometimes the redistributable installer is messed up, it mixes up 64bit and 32bit dll's.
    You could check if you have this problem by looking at the vcruntime140.dll file size. Search your windows folder for "vcruntime140" you should see 4 files (64 and 32 bit in both release & debug versions). If any files have the same size, you need to run a repair on the redistributable.

For more details, you may refer to TimVdG's reply in the following thread:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33855177/multiple-errors-installing-visual-studio-2015-community-edition/34008086

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 18, 2016 9:34 AM