none
Managing Excel adding... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

We have com based excel adding and using it with excel 2013 (32 bit). Whenever excel crashes it changes the registry value of load behavior to 1 or 2 and it prevent the auto load of this add-in with excel start up. we need to modify the load behavior value to 3 to have add-in auto load upon excel start.

I am looking for some setting or solution with in excel, which can prevent the modification of load behavior setting upon excel crash.

Please let me know if someone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Monday, May 8, 2017 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Please check Excel soft-disables or hard-disables your add-in. Please go to File -> Options -> Add-ins, check the Add-in appears in the Disabled Application Add-ins list or in the Inactive Application Add-ins list. For more information, please visit How to: Re-enable a VSTO Add-in That Has Been Disabled

Soft disabling can occur when a VSTO Add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable a VSTO Add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled VSTO Add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the VSTO Add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the VSTO Add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the VSTO Add-in again.

According to your description, its loadbehavior always be changed into 1 or 2. Please check if there is unhandled exception in your add-in.

Do you get any runtime error when loading the add-in?  Please visit the following links to troubleshoot the issue.

Troubleshooting COM Add-In load failures

My Office Addin does not Load!

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 8:13 AM
  • Hi Celeste,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, re enabling the disabled add in is not something I am looking for. 

"According to your description, its load behavior always be changed into 1 or 2. Please check if there is unhandled exception in your add-in."

After excel crash, I want excel to auto load my add in next run (excel) even if there was a unhandled exception. 

Essentially, I need a fix to force load my add in, no matter what happened earlier.  

Best.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

I think it makes no sense and it is impossible to force Excel to load some add-ins which causes it crash. Even if you change the loadbehavior in registry instead of fixing exceptions, Excel would crash again.

As the link mentioned: If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the VSTO Add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the VSTO Add-in again. 

We need to fix it before loading otherwise Excel crashes or disable the add-in again.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 4:18 AM