none
Custom Excel Add-in refuses to get active RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with loading my add-in. It seems to randomly work (after releasing a new version), but I have no clue what's the deciding factor. Simply put, when I install it, it shows up in Inactive Application Add-ins in Excel 2007. I press "Manage: Com Add-ins Go..." and I get a screen with list of add-ins where my add-in shows up with an unchecked checkbox. I tick the checkbox, press ok (that far everything ok, right?) and it is still inactive. I restart Excel and it is still inactive. I uninstall it and reinstall it and it is still inactive.

What are the possible reasons to cause this?

Monday, January 13, 2014 8:59 AM

Answers

• Hello KilpAr

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly or fire exceptions at startup. You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN. It states:

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

I need to check if this answers to everything, but at least to some of my problems it did. Thanks a lot already!
    • Marked as answer by KilpAr Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:50 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 12:31 PM

All replies

• Hello KilpAr

Microsoft Office applications can disable add-ins that behave unexpectedly or fire exceptions at startup. You can read more about this in the How to: Re-enable an Add-in That Has Been Disabled article in MSDN. It states:

Soft disabling can occur when an add-in produces an error that does not cause the application to unexpectedly close. For example, an application might soft disable an add-in if it throws an unhandled exception while the Startup event handler is executing.

When you re-enable a soft-disabled add-in, the application immediately attempts to load the add-in. If the problem that initially caused the application to soft disable the add-in has not been fixed, the application will soft disable the add-in again.

Monday, January 13, 2014 12:03 PM
  • Hello KilpAr

I need to check if this answers to everything, but at least to some of my problems it did. Thanks a lot already!
    • Marked as answer by KilpAr Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:50 PM
    Monday, January 13, 2014 12:31 PM