Best way to implement online ordering for a store (.NET store already built) RRS feed

• Question

• User-1892257740 posted

hey folks I got a general question that maybe some of you can just weigh in.  I developed an online store for a client and people place orders online  for a food ordering place however I am trying to find the best way to have the orders show up for them at the store.  Currently I am sending an email and an autoprint software prints it out which works most of the time but not good enough sometimes it doesn't print. 

Anyone had similar issues or have other alternative solutions you may have heard off? 

Like I said the site sends an email to the customer and the store's email account.

Thanks

Friday, March 19, 2010 2:09 PM

Answers

• User-1184423958 posted

I would suggest to persist the data in database when orders are made from website along with status flag of Order Placed. And, continue to send the reply email to the customer from website.

Then, Develope a windows service application that queries and prints the order at the store. Once the order is printed set the flag to Order in-progress. Set the flag to Settled when the order is processed.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:20 AM
  • User-431249759 posted

In this case you need a client(admin) app which will query the db of orders and print the new ones, while flagging those printed if there were no errors returned from the spooler. Shouldn't be that diffucult. You can later expand this app to send emails, reprint stuff, do reports etc...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:47 AM

All replies

• User1408790675 posted

my crazy suggestion. you can make the printable image compatible on displays such as PDAs and Cellphone. then the recipient can just show it to the store for verification and scanning.

Saturday, March 20, 2010 2:29 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

It is not that the process is terrible, but it is vulnerable to not being 100% reliable as you said if there are printer or possible email issues.  Since your current process is somewhat a 1-way operation (you send the data to the store to be printed and that is the end), have you considered persisting the order information to be re-queried for print if there is an issue? 

This is the main issue with email notification only style systems; if something happens to the email or subsequent result processing (i.e. printing), then the data can be lost permanently.  Having it persisted to a database (or other medium), where certain individuals can re-query the order details (via an Admin app/portal, etc.) is one possible option to ensure the information is either delivered or available 100% of the time.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:02 PM
  • User-1184423958 posted

I would suggest to persist the data in database when orders are made from website along with status flag of Order Placed. And, continue to send the reply email to the customer from website.

Then, Develope a windows service application that queries and prints the order at the store. Once the order is printed set the flag to Order in-progress. Set the flag to Settled when the order is processed.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:20 AM
  • User-1892257740 posted

I actually am storing the information in a database as well so the data isn't lost.  I could develop a admin app for them to see the order but I guess they want something a little more streamlined.  I thought about maybe having like the computer that the printer is on link to an admin app that just shows the most recent order and alerts them somehow that there is a new order. 

But yea to your point the order isn't lost.  As for re-queing by the time they realize they don't have the order the customer is already there to pickup thier order so it can't necessarily be re-queried.

At this point I am noticing that Outlook 2007 has a rule that does autoprint if an email comes in so I will probably go that route.  Ideally the best situation is to have API's available on thier POS system to call but there are none with the ones they are using.   I checked with some thridparty places and they were saying that thier POS Software needs to be purchases (around $2K+) and then the developer has to purchase the API for about ($2K) which just isn't feasible so this is the only way I see possible at the moment.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:41 AM
  • User-1892257740 posted

I like that idea as well.  I guess I could have the windows app be scheduled to run via the windows scheduler to check every like 1 min? 

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:44 AM
  • User-431249759 posted

In this case you need a client(admin) app which will query the db of orders and print the new ones, while flagging those printed if there were no errors returned from the spooler. Shouldn't be that diffucult. You can later expand this app to send emails, reprint stuff, do reports etc...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:47 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

I like that idea as well.  I guess I could have the windows app be scheduled to run via the windows scheduler to check every like 1 min? 

..or you could put in place (install) a Windows Service that uses periodic processing techniques to satisfy your requirements.  Take a look to the following for more information:

Running a Periodic Process in .NET using a Windows Service:

http://allen-conway-dotnet.blogspot.com/2009/12/running-periodic-process-in-net-using.html

Thursday, March 25, 2010 1:32 PM