none
Stream video from network into GUI RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a project and I wanted to know if it is possible to have my skeletal tracking sample project show video streaming from a network.

Basically, I am using the kinect to track where my hands are and then the code will control a robot's movement.

I want to add a camera to the robot that can stream video through my wireless network and I want that video to be placed in my kinect GUI.

Is this possible? I already have a wireless webcam I will be using but I don't know how to set it up in the code.

FYI - I am using the skeletal tracking sample with some extra code for speech recognition.

If anyone needs some more info let me know.

Thanks

Update: I looked around for how to stream video, and found out that a simple solution was to stream the video from the robot to a webpage.  There are some exisitng projects that I can use for the webpage and video streaming setup.  If I take this route, how can I get the webpage with video stream into to Kinect GUI?

Is this solution easier to implement from the Kinect side?

Thanks

• Edited by ramtastic05 Monday, September 10, 2012 8:19 PM
    Monday, September 3, 2012 9:19 PM

Answers

• From a Kinect for Windows perspective, there isn't a way for it to know about your external video source. The key will be to consume the video stream, in whichever method works for you, and present those frames in some UI component. Since the Kinect for Windows actively monitors it's own color camera, that is how the runtime is able to notify you when a frame is ready.

The media pipelines available in Windows are going to be either Direct Show and Media Foundation. Using these you could provide the same type of functionality, but is not a simple task. These are only supported from unmanaged c++, so if you are using a .Net language for you UI you will need to create a COM wrapper that you can use in your managed application.

• Marked as answer by ramtastic05 Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:01 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:49 PM

All replies

• I think on microsofts channel 9 their was a webservice you could install and use with the kinect over a network. Microsofts robotics studio should now have basic support for some kinect related items built into it. I would check with robotics studio first to eliminate confusion because their maybe something their that will help you out.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

• Edited by The Thinker Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:49 PM
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:47 PM
  • From a Kinect for Windows perspective, there isn't a way for it to know about your external video source. The key will be to consume the video stream, in whichever method works for you, and present those frames in some UI component. Since the Kinect for Windows actively monitors it's own color camera, that is how the runtime is able to notify you when a frame is ready.

The media pipelines available in Windows are going to be either Direct Show and Media Foundation. Using these you could provide the same type of functionality, but is not a simple task. These are only supported from unmanaged c++, so if you are using a .Net language for you UI you will need to create a COM wrapper that you can use in your managed application.

• Marked as answer by ramtastic05 Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:01 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2012 11:49 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I think I will just use a dedicated window/program for the video streaming and leave that separate from the Kinect program.

I already have the kinect program finished, it uses the C# gestures and speech recognition.

Thanks again.

Develop-Play-Discuss www.dev-play-discuss.com

Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:03 PM
  • use the new link a third party provided in scotts thread. I will post it, but it worked for a few minutes in expression encoder, then crashed and have been talking to directshow guys about the new filters looks like, if an offical filter was made you could stream it seperately like you wanted ramtastic.

Heres that service link that works with windows phone but can be changed:

http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/kinect/Connecting-to-the-Kinect-remotely-with-the-Kinect-Service

I believe the robotics studio now might allow you to connect over the network to the kinect.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://www.computerprofessions.co.nr

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:14 PM