none
Searchable EDI archive. Any solutions? RRS feed

• Question

• Our BizTalk system received POs as 850 X12 edi documents and sends out 855s and 856s. I have been archiving the incoming 850 and outgoing 855 and 856 in separate folders on the BizTalk server. Sometimes I get queries from our EDI partner on a particualr 855 or 856 for an order and I then have to do a word search on the folder, by order number, to get the 855/856 that I need to look at. Those folders are getting large and these searches are taking longer and longer.

Is there a solution for a searchable EDI archive? Has anyone else faced this problem out there?

Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Anil,

Recently I faced the same problem, solution what i came up with is to make seperate archiving folder for indivisual dates.

eg, if file is processed on 1/jan/2014 it should be archive in the folder named as "1/1/2014"

and file processed opn 2/jan/2014 should be archive in another folder names "2/jan/2014" and so on.

you can make a custon pileline component that will search in the parent directory(which you will provide) for the folder with current date if it finds the folder than to write the file in that folder else create new file by current date.

Thanks

• Edited by Sagar Thakare Monday, February 17, 2014 7:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pengzhen Song Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:23 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Anil,

Have you tried creating a console application to search file from the Archive directory.

this code may help you

void DirSearch(string sDir)
    {
        try    
        {
           foreach (string d in Directory.GetDirectories(sDir))
           {
            foreach (string f in Directory.GetFiles(d, txtFile.Text))
            {
               lstFilesFound.Items.Add(f);
            }
            DirSearch(d);
           }
        }
        catch (System.Exception excpt)
        {
            Console.WriteLine(excpt.Message);
        }
    }

Thanks

Abhishek

Thursday, February 13, 2014 8:08 PM
  • Abhishek, I'm using Windows Grep for searches and it works fine. It's not the search tool I'm interested in. More the approach for archiving.

I wanted to know if anyone is using a better archiving solution than dumping files in a folder. The folders have a few hundred thousand files in them and when I need to get, say, an 855 for a specific order number, the search takes hours.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 10:39 PM
  • Could you propose a change to your SLA?  Unless there are compliance issues, many organizations keep only 30/60/90 days.  Also, the ERP would be considered the authority regardless of what was in the EDI.

I'm not aware of any general EDI 'archiver'.  We have a solution similar to what you describe, but it's specifically for HIPAA transactions.

Saturday, February 15, 2014 3:59 AM
  • Hi Anil,

Recently I faced the same problem, solution what i came up with is to make seperate archiving folder for indivisual dates.

eg, if file is processed on 1/jan/2014 it should be archive in the folder named as "1/1/2014"

and file processed opn 2/jan/2014 should be archive in another folder names "2/jan/2014" and so on.

you can make a custon pileline component that will search in the parent directory(which you will provide) for the folder with current date if it finds the folder than to write the file in that folder else create new file by current date.

Thanks

• Edited by Sagar Thakare Monday, February 17, 2014 7:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pengzhen Song Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:23 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 7:35 AM