After adding a new attribute to a dimension and saving, SSAS unprocessed partitions. Can anyone help me to some reading materials why this happened? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After adding a new attribute to a dimension and saving, SSAS unprocessed partitions. Can anyone help me understand why this happened and point to some reading materials for detail? (can't find any...)

Thx

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• Whenever you change the structure of a dimension (i.e. adding a new attribute or deleting a attribute), any fact tables that are related to that dimension will drop its data. Remember that a cube aggregates the data across the dimension attributes and members (simply speaking). So when you change something, the partitions need to be reprocessed to add the new data related to that attribute. That is why when you added the new attribute, you now need to do a FULL PROCESS on that dimension to reload the data. Whenever you do a FULL PROCESS on a dimension, the existing fact data will be dropped and the parititions will need to be reprocessed.

Frank
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Kearney Friday, October 29, 2010 5:41 PM
    • Marked as answer by Raymond-Lee Saturday, November 6, 2010 11:57 AM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:28 PM