Are Asp.Net Profiles still being used? RRS feed

• Question

• User54516845 posted

Is PROFILES a feature that is limited to Asp.Net WEB FORMS applications, or can it be used with more modern MVC and more specifically is it something that will carry over into ASP.Net Core?

Very grateful for any help !

P.S.    I am posting this here, as I've seen the Profile feature of Asp.Net always bundled along with the Authentication and Authorization, and wasn't sure where else to post it

Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:34 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

It's not limited to web forms, but you don't need Profiles if you are using ASP.NET Identity with Entity Framework (Core), which is the recommended way to manage users these days. ASP.NET Identity already provides ways to manage additional user information in a strongly typed manner. Consequently, Profiles will not be included in ASP.NET Core.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:49 AM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

It's not limited to web forms, but you don't need Profiles if you are using ASP.NET Identity with Entity Framework (Core), which is the recommended way to manage users these days. ASP.NET Identity already provides ways to manage additional user information in a strongly typed manner. Consequently, Profiles will not be included in ASP.NET Core.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:49 AM
  • User54516845 posted

That a lot for this clarification, should I also conclude that the newer membership system (ASP.NET Identity) is also the way to go Asp.Net Web Forms type applications, basically replacing entirely the PROFILES service?

Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:01 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

Yes- any new ASP.NET project should be using Identity rather than the old Membership classes.

Sunday, November 11, 2018 8:30 PM