none
Xbox 360 Kinect CPU Bound or GPU Bound RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have written a program for the Kinect that runs on a laptop. I'm starting to find that the laptop is having troubles processing the Kinect depth frames I get about 1 frame a second. So buying a more capable laptop is in order. However I'm wondering if the Kinect is more GPU bound or is it CPU bound in terms of performance. I want to get a laptop that will process the Kinect at 30 frames per second and wondering if I can get by without buying a laptop without a graphics card.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi T3rr,

The Kinect for Windows v1 sensor/SDK is CPU bound.  The Kinect for Windows v2 sensor/SDK is GPU bound.

The goal with the first Kinect for Windows (v1) was to have a similar experience on all machines that met minimum specs.  On this point, it doesn't matter if you are using the K4W sensor or the one you got with your XBox.

The new Kinect (v2) is so powerful that it uses all the power you can throw at it.

James

James Ashley - author, Beginning Kinect Programming
    jamesashley@imaginativeuniversal.com
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:38 PM

All replies

• Hi T3rr,

The Kinect for Windows v1 sensor/SDK is CPU bound.  The Kinect for Windows v2 sensor/SDK is GPU bound.

The goal with the first Kinect for Windows (v1) was to have a similar experience on all machines that met minimum specs.  On this point, it doesn't matter if you are using the K4W sensor or the one you got with your XBox.

The new Kinect (v2) is so powerful that it uses all the power you can throw at it.

James

James Ashley - author, Beginning Kinect Programming
    jamesashley@imaginativeuniversal.com
    www.imaginativeuniversal.com

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, this helps. Looks like it might be a smart idea to get a gaming laptop then incase I should want to upgrade to a Kinect v2.
    Wednesday, July 30, 2014 6:40 PM