Unable to Install WES 7 after Distribution Share Updated RRS feed

• Question

• About a year ago I built a WES 7 64 Bit via ICE and installed it successfully from my USB stick on to my embedded system

I now need to make some changes to the build so I thought I would take the opportunity to update my DS with the latest patches/hotfixes/security updates

I then updated the distribution share using 'Windows Embedded Developer Update (V2.0.0695.0)

From within ICE I then ran 'Validate->Add Applicable Updates' and then rebuilt my media

I am now unable to install windows on my target system from my USB device. When I get to the part 'Where do you want to install Windows', I select my only partition (which is 32GB of unallocated space) and when I click 'Next' I get the message

'Windows Setup is unable to locate a valid drive to store temporary installation files. To install Windows, create more free space on the drive or add a new drive'

This seems to have been caused by one of the applicable updates applied to the answer file, but how do I know which one. As it has been so long since the original image was built 465 updates were applied to the answer file!!

I did build an image from the updated DS but without having run 'Add Applicable Updates' and this setup ran successfully.

Has anyone had this problem and know how I may resolve it

Thanks in advance

Steve

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• This is a known issue. The more updates being added to the DS and thus the installer, is requiring more hard drive space and RAM. My article might be able to help:

http://annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/Disk-and-Ram-Resource-Issue-with-Windows-Embedded-Updates-Rev-1.2.pdf

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:32 PM
  • Hi Sean

Thanks for your reply. It turns out it is purely down to hard drive space, I thought with a 32GB hard drive it would be more then enough to install windows, and the setup program reported that 17GB was required, so I did not test it with a larger drive. But when I used the same build and installed to a 120GB SSD, the install proceeded without a hitch.

So a word of warning to anyone reading this, don't be fooled by the amount of free space windows reports that it needs to install.

As a note, after installing 64 Bit WES7 the OS consumed a whopping 27GB. Time to upgrade my hard drive!

Friday, March 11, 2016 11:53 AM
  • You can run setup with a larger drive and more RAM to create the master image. For the clones you can go back to a smaller drive and RAM.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, March 11, 2016 6:10 PM
  • Yes Sean, that is what I did and that solution worked well. Thanks for your help.
    Monday, March 14, 2016 8:40 AM