none
How to determine the start of text on the arc of a 'textButton' shape? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

start PowerPoint and insert a 'Text Box' shape. Write the following three lines:

First line

Text is left aligned, second line.

Third line.

Align the third line to right. Transform the 'Text Box' shape to the type 'Button' from the category 'Follow Path'. Size the shape to width 10cm, height 4cm. Drag the handle of the shape to an angle of about 210degree, which is somewhere left-top from the center. Notice, that the handle will be approximately at the character 'i' of the word 'line'.

I do not find any rule, that tells, how the text is placed on the arc of the 'Button' geometry. When you drag the handle, you will see the two arcs and the middle line as gray lines. This lines correspond to the path elements in the presetTextWarpDefinitions.xml. The standard contains a description for "warp", but that is not applicable in this case. And I do not find any other specification, how to place the text on the lines. I have expected, that the text starts at the angle, but it doesn't.

Kind regards

Regina

Monday, May 27, 2019 8:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Regina Henschel,
    Thank you for your inquiry about Office Specifications. We have created an incident for investigating this issue. One of the Open specifications team member will contact you shortly.

Regards,
    Sreekanth Nadendla
    Microsoft Windows Open specifications
    Monday, May 27, 2019 11:55 PM
  • After further investigation, I suspect that PowerPoint uses a circle instead of the ellipse.  If my assumption is correct, there is still the question whether this is an error of PowerPoint or whether it is provided in the specification.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:41 AM
  • Hi Regina, 

Thanks for the question. I'll check it out and get back to you.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 5:30 PM
  • Hi Regina, 

There are a number of prstTxWarp prst attribute values listed in 29500-1 20.1.10.76 ST_TextShapeType (Preset Text Shape Types), including "textButton (Button Text Shape)". These show the resulting effect of these shapes using an image. However, like other effects listed, the standard doesn't prescribe the method used to create the effect shown. 

Tom

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 6:30 PM
  • Hi Tom,

so I do not miss a description, but it indeed does not exist.

I think, a description should be added to the standard in its next version. There exists already the description of all the "warp" cases, where the text is between two paths, in section 20.1.9.19. As far as I see, that covers 36 of the 40 shapes. The description says "all", but that is not true, because the four shapes in category "Follow Path" (in PowerPoint UI) do not have two paths. Thereby not only the text start angle is unclear, but the vertical alignment relative to the path and the scaling is unclear too.

Kind regards

Regina

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 8:59 PM
  • Regina, 

Thank you for clarifying and I think I'm caught up to you now. 

If I understand you, the standard has no algorithm/description for "Follow Path/Circle", "Follow Path/Button", "Follow Path/Circle" and "Follow Path/Button" (which has only one path to guide the text), like it has in 20.1.9.19 for all the others (which have two paths to guide and warp the text).

I'm wondering if two more are also in this category: Warp/Circle and Warp/Button. Are you ok with these because of the two path algorithm in 20.1.9.19?

Tom

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 10:07 PM
  • Hi Tom,

you are right, Warp/Circle and Warp/Button have the same problem with the starting angle as Follow Path/Button. If I follow the idea, that the angle is used relative to the circle, then their behavior is clear. If angle relative to circle is intended, it should be mentioned in the standard, because it is different from the meaning of the angle for the path.

The text distribution on the shapes Follow Path/Arch and Follow Path/ArchDown and Follow Path/Circle is unclear. Even examining what PowerPoint actually does, gives me no idea. A specification is absolutely necessary for them.

Kind regards

Regina

Tuesday, May 28, 2019 11:11 PM
  • Hi Regina, 

Here is the explanation from our graphics team as they agree the standard is not clear. 

Text location is determined by the guide (based on adjustment handle position) and the value of the guide determines the distance along the ellipse (or circle, depending on shape geometry) where the text should start for the top line and end for the bottom line. The value starts at 0 on the right side of the ellipse/circle and moves clockwise around the curve. The first 45 degrees (by distance, bottom right quadrant) will invert both the top and bottom text (if present), 45-90 degrees (bottom left quadrant) places the text at the beginning for the top line and end for the bottom line, 90-135 degrees (top left quadrant) places the text right-side-up along the top and bottom lines, 135-180 degrees (top right quadrant) inverts the text and places it at the beginning for the top line and end for the bottom line.

Examples:

Handle at far right:

<a:prstTxWarp prst="textButton">
          <a:avLst>
             <a:gd name="adj" fmla="val 0"/>
          </a:avLst>
       </a:prstTxWarp>

Handle in bottom right quadrant:

<a:gd name="adj" fmla="val 1936316"/>

Handle in the bottom left quadrant:

<a:gd name="adj" fmla="val 9235124"/>

Handle in the top left quadrant:

<a:gd name="adj" fmla="val 12975568"/>

Handle in the top right quadrant:

<a:gd name="adj" fmla="val 19968804"/>

I hope this helps.

Tom

Thursday, June 20, 2019 7:48 PM
  • Hi Tom, the behavior for top right quadrant and bottom left quadrant corresponds to the arc, which is defined by the formula guides. In that case the arc starts or ends at 0deg or 180 deg, and the text too. But the problem is in the top left and bottom right cases. The handle is at the start or end point of the arc, which is defined by the formula guides. But the text does not start at the start or end of the arc.

Please look at my image from May 28. (1) Is my interpretation correct? (2) If yes, is that an error in PowerPoint? If you say, that it is the intended behavior, then the specification should define it that way. The behavior cannot be deduced from the current text in the specification.

Saturday, June 22, 2019 1:01 PM
  • Hi Regina, 

I see what you're saying. Checking with the graphics team to see if that's the story or there is some other implementation here. 

Tom

Monday, June 24, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Regina, 

Thank you for your patience. The graphics team has reviewed your assessment and had these responses: 

>>The handle is at the start or end point of the arc, which is defined by the formula guides. But the text does not start at the start or end of the arc.

The adjustment handle controls the size of the line, it does not directly correspond to the start or end location of the text, although the two are related. Text start location is determined by the size of the line and text alignment.

>> Please look at my image from May 28. (1) Is my interpretation correct?

No, we do not use a circle to determine text start location. Section 20.1.9.19 describes how the line is warped to fit an ellipse. Although you’re correct that the standard incorrectly describes all warps as having two paths where some only have a single path.

We will modify the algorithm (or add to it) to include relevant information about the multiple paths. 

Thanks, 

Tom

Wednesday, July 10, 2019 5:47 PM