none
Custom VTSO Excel ribbons keep getting merged RRS feed

• Question

• I have two ribbons from separate programs. Both the ribbon names and the tab names of the ribbons are different.

When the first ribbon gets installed (or invoked from Studio), Excel shows the correct ribbon name for the first ribbon. The contents also are correct.

When the second ribbon gets installed / invoked, Excel shows only one ribbon -- the second ribbon name. The contents of both ribbons are crammed into this single ribbon.

How can I keep the ribbons separate and not have the contents merged?

I'm using

• Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate c# VTSO
    • Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus
    Monday, December 9, 2013 9:31 PM

Answers

• Hi Topstrok

Would I be correct in guessing that you used the default Ribbon tab the Visual Studio Designer presents to you when you add a new Ribbon Designer item to your project?

If yes, this tab is mapped to the built-in Add-ins tab of an Office Ribbon. This is, by design, a Shared tab and is meant to be have in the manner you describe.

If you want two separate tabs that aren't shared with each other or other developers' Ribbon customizations then you need to right-click the Ribbon Designer at the top and choose to generate a New tab. Place your controls on that.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Topstrok Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:34 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Topstrok

Would I be correct in guessing that you used the default Ribbon tab the Visual Studio Designer presents to you when you add a new Ribbon Designer item to your project?

If yes, this tab is mapped to the built-in Add-ins tab of an Office Ribbon. This is, by design, a Shared tab and is meant to be have in the manner you describe.

If you want two separate tabs that aren't shared with each other or other developers' Ribbon customizations then you need to right-click the Ribbon Designer at the top and choose to generate a New tab. Place your controls on that.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP, my blog

• Marked as answer by Topstrok Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:34 PM
    Tuesday, December 10, 2013 9:26 AM
  • I found the new tab option.

Thanks!

Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:34 PM