ADO.NET data services Client for Silverlight ? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi!

Does anybody knows about an ADO.NET data services Client for Silverlight?

Thanks and regards

Thursday, January 10, 2008 11:40 AM

Answers

• We are releasing a Astoria Silverlight client for the last 1.1 CTP because that is the only release publicly available.  Once 2.0 becomes available, we will drop our support for the 1.1 CTP.

The Astoria client library should not change much between the now and when Silverlight 2.0 becomes available.  Silverlight 2.0 is essentially the next preview of Silverlight 1.1, but they changed the version in the name and made a bunch of breaking changes.  Fortunately, those breaking changes seem to effect the Astoria client library very little.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:19 PM

All replies

• Any day now...  We promise.  :-)

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:27 PM
  • Andy, I'm confused about something. Could you please clarify that?

Hasn't SL2.0 been changed to be based on a different code base and library than SL1.1? This is what Tim Sneath (one of the project mangers on SL team had to say):

many of the breaking changes that you'll see between Silverlight 1.1 Alpha and the Silverlight 2.0 Beta have been introduced to bring about far greater consistency between Silverlight and WPF.

So my confusion started when previously I asked you how I can test and use the up coming Astoria for SL and you said to use SL1.1 that will work with SL2.0. But based on the stuff I've read, codes written for SL1.1 is not supported or compatible with SL2.0.
    So, can you explain to me, how I can use Astoria client API with SL1.1 and still be able to move it to SL2.0?

Thank you in advance!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 4:44 PM
  •  

Sorry about the confusion.

The upcoming Astoria silverlight client release will work with the last public Silverlight CTP release.  That was called Silverlight 1.1 and was released last summer. 

When there is a public CTP of Silverlight 2.0 (Mix time frame), we will release a update to the Astoria silverlight clinet that works with 2.0 and not with the Silverlight 1.1 CTP from last summer.

Does that make sense?

Thursday, January 10, 2008 7:26 PM
  • Does that make sense?
    Now it does!

Andy, so why are you guys releasing a version for SL1.1? When 1.1 is not supported and does not provide a license for distribution and is not comparable with 2.0. Why should I use 1.1 with your release? The reason I ask, maybe I'm missing something, would SL1.1 and your API give me a head start that I can actualy use my code in 2.0?
    Thanks for helpining me crack this puzzle!

Thursday, January 10, 2008 8:28 PM
  • We are releasing a Astoria Silverlight client for the last 1.1 CTP because that is the only release publicly available.  Once 2.0 becomes available, we will drop our support for the 1.1 CTP.

The Astoria client library should not change much between the now and when Silverlight 2.0 becomes available.  Silverlight 2.0 is essentially the next preview of Silverlight 1.1, but they changed the version in the name and made a bunch of breaking changes.  Fortunately, those breaking changes seem to effect the Astoria client library very little.

Hope that helps.

Thursday, January 10, 2008 9:19 PM
  • Thanks Andy;
    Fortunately, those breaking changes seem to effect the Astoria client library very little.
    I think this sums up the answer I was looking for.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 2:58 AM
  •  

So..we are well invested in SL 2.0 Beta now, and starting to consume ADO.Net Data Services - or thinking about changing our entire service platform - but there is no apparent client that works with SL 2.0.  Without it, this seems like a glass half full... this thread seems to indicate the client woudl be out by now... any idea?  link?

Friday, April 18, 2008 5:32 PM
  • The next release of the Astoria silverlight client will be part of the SL 2.0 Beta 2 SDK.  There should be a more official announcement of this on the Astoria team blog very soon.

Monday, April 21, 2008 11:44 PM