none
Excel 2013 and KB3085502 problems with charts RRS feed

• Question

• It seems that the KB3085502 security update introduced some issues in Excel 2013. In some cases the selection doesn't seem to work as it should. For example check the below gif. I have an empty cell selected and I try to insert a chart. At the beginning the preview of the chart that is shown is a pivot chart. But when the chart is actually inserted Excel finds out that the selection is actually an empty cell and not a pivot table. The pivot table whose data is shown was actually selected just before the empty cell was selected. So it seems that Excel still thinks that the pivot table is selected for previewing the chart. This causes some issues with the addin we are developing. When selection is changed like this the actual chart that is inserted with our addin is a Pivot chart and not a normal excel chart, even though no pivot tables are selected.

I have uninstalled the mentioned update and without it these problems do not occur.

1. Is this a known issue? 

2. Is there any known workaround (like forcing excel to check it's selection or something along those lines)?

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 2:20 PM

Answers

• It seems that this was fixed with the Office updates from November 10th. Whatever issue was introduced with KB3085502 has been fixed.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hello All,

Although not really related to what Mitja describes, the below relates to the KB he mentions.

Sub test()
    Dim r As Range
    Set r = Selection
    Debug.Print r.HasFormula
    Application.ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(5).Activate
    End Sub

Running the macro above in the VBA IDE, switching to the UI of Excel  2013, and pressing F2 to edit the selected cell causes Excel to show the content of the cell from the worksheet that was active before the macro was run.

Regards from Belarus (GMT + 3),

Andrei Smolin
    Add-in Express Team Leader

Please mark answers and useful posts to help other developers use the forums efficiently.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:12 PM
  • Yeah, I saw something similar in this thread. This is response from one of the Program managers on Excel team:

This is Andrew Stegmaier, and I'm a Program Manager on the Excel engineering team.

I wanted to let everyone know that we're aware of issue, and we're working on a fix. It was an unexpected side-effect of a performance optimization that we shipped in this update. I apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused--we
     expect to ship the fix in the November public update.  The best workarounds I can suggest in the meantime are:

1. Uninstall KB3085502
    2. Manually switching between sheet tabs appears to fix things up in many cases
    3. Calling ActiveCell.Select (as suggested by Inno210) can also fix things up in many cases.

EDIT: Just wanted to say that this does not discuss my original question and from the replies it is not evident that the November public update will fix the issue I'm asking about.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 2:19 PM
  • Any update on this?
    Monday, October 26, 2015 2:51 PM
  • It seems that this was fixed with the Office updates from November 10th. Whatever issue was introduced with KB3085502 has been fixed.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2015 2:36 PM