none
Microsoft.Speech TTS issue for Chinese Mandarin RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have to update a Text To Speech App using Microsoft.Speech in order to be able to manage Chinese Mandarin.
    While it's working with English text, with chinese mandarin I have an issue :

An exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in Microsoft.Speech.dll but was not handled in user code
    Additional information: Speak error '8000FFFF'

Inner Exception : {"Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))"}

Here is my simple C# test code:

using (var ss = new SpeechSynthesizer())
    {
            ss.SetOutputToWaveFile(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory + "/test.wav");                
            ss.SelectVoice("Microsoft Server Speech Text to Speech Voice (zh-CN, HuiHui)");                
            ss.Speak(sentence);                    
    }

I have installed the voice (I can see it in GetInstalledVoices()) and my research point out that I miss some DLL (I use Windows 10 but the server is on a Windows Server 2012): 

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35541173/chinese-tts-fails-while-english-works

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27394304/tts-for-chinese-is-throwing-sapi-error-e-fail

Moreover, I can't find the DLL on my Windows 10 and can't get a proper version on the net.

My questions are:

- Is it really due to these missing DLLs ?

- Can you provide me the process to fix this on my computer (Windows 10) and on the server (Windows server 2012), if different ?

Thanks.

Monday, May 30, 2016 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Sovehad2,

>>"Inner Exception : {"Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))"}"

The exception is a internal exception. I suspect it's a product issue and I would recommend you submit a feedback in http://connect.microsoft.com. Thanks for your understanding.

In addition, I would suggest you also provide a simplified demo to add as attachment. If you finish submit, please remember to post your link here, I will help you vote it. Thanks.

>>"I can't find the DLL on my Windows 10 and can't get a proper version on the net."

Until now, there is no official download page for these DLL. You could search the DLL on Windows 8/7 and copy these DLL to your solution.

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 2:36 AM
  • Don't know if this will help or not.

Pinyin Joe's Chinese Computing Help Desk - Windows 10 Chinese Setup: Handwriting, Speech, and Language Packs

My guess is there could be an issue of the OS doesn't support multiple language packs. I don't know anything about Win10 but Win7 home premium does not support multiple language packs. I'm not certain you require the language pack for mandarin installed and set for TTS to work with mandarin.

Also see - Language packs and although concerning Win 8.1 - Windows narrator in other languages (different from English).

I also guess if you can get the Ease of Access Narrator working in Mandarin then your code will probably work but maybe not.

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 3:05 AM
  • Here more information.

I tried in a Console application, and it works.
    I tried in a ASP.NET application, and it failed.

Seems the issue is on ASP.NET only.

Here is a zip with the console project and the ASP.Net project....

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=91C3D891112AC92E!111&authkey=!AL_jLu0tSqNs2xw&ithint=file%2czip

Here is the link of the issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2766969/asp-net-and-microsoft-speech-error-with-chinese

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 8:47 AM
  • There's no information at the link of the issue to read other than you can't get an asp.net app to work with this capability. That's not how an error gets reported. Just because an app will not work for you doesn't mean you report the issue as a bug.

Does the console app run on both the Win10 and Win Server 2012 system?

Maybe the Win Server 2012 system isn't set up correctly. I'm not going to look at your Asp.Net app nor do I have a Win10 and Win Server 2012 system to test your Asp.Net app with.

How does your Asp.Net app work? If you can't provide input when reporting something as a bug the assumption will be that you don't know enough to know what you are doing and therefore there is no bug except the issues you are creating yourself.

La vida loca

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 10:59 PM
  • I updated the Microsoft bug.

An exception of type 'System.InvalidOperationException' occurred in Microsoft.Speech.dll but was not handled in user code
    Additional information: Speak error '8000FFFF'

Inner Exception : {"Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))"}

The code is the following:

using (var ss = new SpeechSynthesizer())
    {
            ss.SetOutputToWaveFile(AppDomain.CurrentDomain.BaseDirectory + "/test.wav");                
            ss.SelectVoice("Microsoft Server Speech Text to Speech Voice (zh-CN, HuiHui)");                
            ss.Speak(sentence);                    
    }

This error appear only with the Chinese language. The console app works well, means is something due to ASP .Net. The simple app that I post is a new Blank ASP.Net app with Web API model. I just create a simple controller that call this code....

• Edited by Sovehad2 Wednesday, June 1, 2016 1:15 AM
    Wednesday, June 1, 2016 1:10 AM