Getting Error TF80076 when trying to access Document Template - Iteration Backlog.xlsm in TFS project. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to open the Document Template - Iteration Backlog.xlsm file from the Documents\Samples and Templates\Project Management folder in Team Explorer (TFS 2010) and I'm getting the following two errors before the workbook closes:

TFS80076:  The data in the work item is not valid or you do not have permissions to modify the data.  Please correct the problem and retry.

TF208103:  The initialization of the workbook to connect to Team Foundation Server was not successful.  The workbook will close.  You can try to connect again by re-opening the workbook.

I'm the administrator of the project so it doesnt make sense that I don't have access - I also can't change any settings in the workbook because it closes right away.  Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Troy

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:07 PM

Answers

• Yes - I had right clicked on the Team Project, selected TeamProject Settings, Areas and Iterations, and changed the first iteration to "Something."  From there, opening Documents\Samples and Templates\Project Management\Document Template - Iteration Backlog.xlsm yielded the above errors.  If I go back and change the name of the first iteration to "Iteration 1" the document opens fine.  There seems to be an assumption/dependency on the value of the first iteration. 

So no - I shouldn't need any additional help - it is an interesting feature and I have a workaround.  ;)  Thanks for your assistance!

-Troy

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hello Troy,

I found one similar issue with this one.

http://geekswithblogs.net/jkurtz/archive/2008/06/07/122690.aspx

It appears that the issue is because of two different versions of TFS office integration plug-in. Would you please check if you have installed old version before and please use the same way to register TFS 2010 plug-in. Thanks.

Looking for TFS Hot Issues? Follow us at Twitter.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 9:34 AM
  • I did try that already - The odd thing is I can open the same document under another team project - that points to more of a server setting or data issue.  I'll try blowing the project away and starting fresh.  Thank you for your response.
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:22 PM
  • Apparently changing the first iteration name breaks the report.  Nice...
    Monday, August 30, 2010 8:32 PM
  • For clarification, did you mean that you have found the cause of the issue is because of the first iteration name change?

Please let me know if you need any help. Thanks.

Looking for TFS Hot Issues? Follow us at Twitter.

Hongye Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact msdnmg @ microsoft.com

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Tuesday, August 31, 2010 4:54 AM
  • Yes - I had right clicked on the Team Project, selected TeamProject Settings, Areas and Iterations, and changed the first iteration to "Something."  From there, opening Documents\Samples and Templates\Project Management\Document Template - Iteration Backlog.xlsm yielded the above errors.  If I go back and change the name of the first iteration to "Iteration 1" the document opens fine.  There seems to be an assumption/dependency on the value of the first iteration. 

So no - I shouldn't need any additional help - it is an interesting feature and I have a workaround.  ;)  Thanks for your assistance!

-Troy

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 1:17 PM
  • I'm having the exact same issue as above. I changed the iteration names from the defaults and am getting the errors cited above. However, even if I change the iteration names back to "Iteration 1", etc., I still get the same error message coming up when trying to open the "Product Planning.xlsm" workbook. I also get the same error opening any of the 3 default workbooks under Shared Documents/Iteration 1/.

On a another project, where I haven't edited the iterations, I can open the workbooks without errors.

It's not related to the different versions of team explorer; I've only had team explorer 2010 on this machine.

Dave

Monday, September 27, 2010 3:20 PM
  • After reading this post, I don't actually see a definitive answer from Microsoft as to a solution.  We have used custom iteration names extensively.  Renaming the first iteration to the default name of "Iteration1" to open these reports does not resolve the issue. 

Can you confirm a work around for this report using custom iteration names or provide us with feedback indicating this is on your product backlog to fix in a future revision.

Thanks,

Stephen

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:46 PM
  • Hi:

We have been able to repro this issue.  We are working toweards a resolution.  Thanks you for your patience.

Wendell

Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Thanks Wendell, I am very much looking forward to a resolution to this problem.  The excel provides a number of out of the box features that are very useful.  I can recreate them in my own excel but would prefer to use the provided template.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:48 PM
  • I am having the same problem...
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 1:34 PM
  • Any news on the resolution? For example, is there somewhere I can get a generic Iteration Backlog template (or any of the others)? I only find them in the initial Shared Documents. Is there a location of the master spreadsheet templates?

Thanks, Jerry

Friday, January 7, 2011 5:15 PM
  • It happens to me as well. 

I changed Iteration name from "Iteration"1 to something else and I hit "The value you entered is not valid" error when trying to update the Iteration path from "\Iteration 1" to my new name in the Iteration backlog\Setting spreadsheet.

when I try to update the burnrate by clicking "Update Now" , it says "the iteration path \Iteration 1 is not in the cube."

we can't do any project planning using TFS due to this.  I am looking for a solution from MS about this. 

Jerry, regarding your questions, you can download new templates from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aaronbjork/archive/2010/03/16/unbound-agile-workbooks.aspx

Thursday, January 20, 2011 8:24 AM
  • Hi Wendell,

Did you guys find the solution to the problem discussed here? As change the Iteration to Iteration 1 doesn't solve issue.

Thanks,

Mathlesh

Thursday, May 12, 2011 7:23 AM
  • I'm getting this same error with a project created with CMMI template when I try to open Documents:Project Management:Issues.xlsx or Triage.xlsx.  I have a similar project also created with CMMI template where Issues.xlsx opens fine but Triage.xlsx has the problem.  I have not renamed anything to my knowledge.  Is there a solution or work around?
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Did you find any solution to this problem? Any help will be appreciated.

Paritosh

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Found a solution...thought of sharing my experience.

1) TFS80076:  The data in the work item is not valid or you do not have permissions to modify the data.  Please correct the problem and retry.

The template file for Iteration Backlog and Product Backlog somehow got corrupted. And since I had deleting existing MSF Agile Template v5.0, I had to go our TFS server and locate and extract the template file for the backlogs. They should be located under -

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools\Deploy\ProcessTemplateManagerFiles\MsfAgile\Template.zip\Windows SharePoint Services\Shared Documents\Project Management

Upload them to your project collection and they should open fine.

PS:You don't necessarily need to have Iteration 1 in the list of iterations; it can be set to your current iteration as long as your queries are updated to point to the right iteration. Once done, you can copy the template over to respective iterations and bind it with the correct team query and things should work for you.

• Proposed as answer by Paritosh Arya Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:34 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 3:31 PM
  • Paritosh,

I'm a newbie to TFS so could you expand on your solution, how exactly do i upload the report to my "project Collection"?

Thanks

Paul

Monday, September 19, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I am not sure if I got your question right, but if you are talking of how to upload new reports into your TFS, please follow the link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb668983.aspx

Else, if you want to know how to upload the iteration backlog or product backlog files, just go to your visual studio and Team explorer, copy the file(s) using context menu and paste it into your iteration folders.

Let me know if you need more help!

Regards,

Paritosh Arya

Monday, September 19, 2011 10:47 AM
  • hi

Thanks for that, i did this and i still get the same sequence of errors tfs80076 & tfs208103.  I do have admin rights and so does another we both get the same error sequence.

paul

Monday, September 19, 2011 2:06 PM
  • HI,

Paul before you copy over the the documents to your iteration folders, did you try to open the documents (templates I mean). Could you open them or they threw the same error? You first need to make sure that once you get to the template files, they should open fine.

If you have access to the TFS server, try to extract the template files and try to open them before doing the above mentioned exercise. Again the location is -

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools\Deploy\ProcessTemplateManagerFiles\MsfAgile\Template.zip\Windows SharePoint Services\Shared Documents\Project Management

Regards,

Paritosh

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:43 AM
  • Hi Paritosh,

I got right to the end with this, but when i open my 'Iteration Backlog.xlsm' the first page doesn't populate (the one where i would enter tasks) - all the other worksheets (settings, capacity etc.) look fine

Any ideas?

Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:10 PM
  • You need to tie the iteration backlog backlog with your TFS query. Go to team tab and click New List and select your query (one that returns all iteration backlog items). This would bind it to the database and you will the results.

Let me know if u need more help!

Paritosh 

Thursday, January 5, 2012 3:15 PM
  • hi,

it helped me too.

i copied the "iteration backlog" from another file, and it had all these errors. only after coping the original file from the template folder , from the server,

reconfiguring the query - it worked.

thanks

hila

Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:35 AM
  • Both replace template and team quesry setting fixed the problem
    Thanks a lot

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:36 AM