A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired. RRS feed

• Question

• We are having an intermittent error happening when our sales teams computers are using our VPN to communicate remotely with our SQL Server.  The error is "A transport-level error has occurred when receiving results from the server. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The semaphore timeout period has expired.)".  It happens at random and from what I gather it is a network error, but SQL Server is capturing the error and reporting it to the calling application.  The error happens at random when opening the table designer in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), executing a tiny or large cost query in SSMS, executing queries from client applications I've developed, and I think it happened once when I was logging into SSMS using my credentials.

In SSMS, I looked at the ServerName > SQL Server Logs and don't see anything that resembles this error text, perhaps because the error isn't being thrown by SQL Server, but by the network.  From what I've read it seems to be a Winsock issue.

Can someone give us explicit instructions to troubleshoot and repair this error?

Thanks

Ryan

Ryan

Wednesday, June 3, 2020 12:04 PM