none
Can XBOX Kinect sensor work with the new API for Kinect for Windows? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear guys,

I'm going to develop a application. What I have now is a XBOX Kinect Sensor not the Kinect for Windows.

Now I have downloaded the SDK and Toolkit for Kinect for Windows.

So I am wondering that whether I can use these tool and SDK to control the XBOX Kinect sensor.

I am waiting on line.

Thank you in advance.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 10:55 AM

Answers

• not with the runtime can only be used for debugging or when full sdk is installed does this answer your question?

P.S. use the student discount on microsoft store if you wish to later buy a kinect for windows if a student. 

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Marked as answer by Franva Wednesday, June 6, 2012 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:29 PM
  • From the FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

Can I download the Kinect for Windows SDK and use it with my Kinect for Xbox 360?

The Kinect for Windows SDK has been designed for the Kinect for Windows hardware and application development is only licensed with use of the Kinect for Windows sensor. We do not recommend using Kinect for Xbox 360 to assist in the development of Kinect for Windows applications. Developers should plan to transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes and should expect that their users will also be using Kinect for Windows hardware as well.       

What are the terms of the commercial license? How is the commercial license different from the non-commercial license?

The commercial license authorizes development and distribution of commercial applications. The beta SDK was only for research, testing and experimentation, and was not suitable for use with final, commercial products. The new license that's available with the Kinect for Windows version 1.0 and version 1.5 software will enable developers to create and sell their Kinect for Windows applications to customers using Kinect for Windows hardware on Windows platforms. You can read the full end-user license agreement here.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:30 PM

All replies

• nobody knows????

Please......

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:21 PM
  • not with the runtime can only be used for debugging or when full sdk is installed does this answer your question?

P.S. use the student discount on microsoft store if you wish to later buy a kinect for windows if a student. 

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 12:29 PM
  • From the FAQ, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/news/faq.aspx

Can I download the Kinect for Windows SDK and use it with my Kinect for Xbox 360?

The Kinect for Windows SDK has been designed for the Kinect for Windows hardware and application development is only licensed with use of the Kinect for Windows sensor. We do not recommend using Kinect for Xbox 360 to assist in the development of Kinect for Windows applications. Developers should plan to transition to Kinect for Windows hardware for development purposes and should expect that their users will also be using Kinect for Windows hardware as well.       

What are the terms of the commercial license? How is the commercial license different from the non-commercial license?

The commercial license authorizes development and distribution of commercial applications. The beta SDK was only for research, testing and experimentation, and was not suitable for use with final, commercial products. The new license that's available with the Kinect for Windows version 1.0 and version 1.5 software will enable developers to create and sell their Kinect for Windows applications to customers using Kinect for Windows hardware on Windows platforms. You can read the full end-user license agreement here.

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 3:30 PM