none
Creating Master Task and Subtask using SPD Workflow

Question

• Hi,

Please pardon my Sharepoint Knowledge as I have started Sharepoint Designing & Dev just 3 days ago.

Scenaio: There is a list "A", upon creating an item in list "A" following action need to take place:

1. Create an item into List B with few columns from List A

2. Create a Master Task in Default Task List

3. Create 5 Subtasks under the Master Task in Default Task List

Issue: I am able to create the Master Task and the 5 Tasks but not able to make the 5 tasks related to the Master Task and hence all the 6 tasks appear at the same level without any hierarchy.

This is what I am looking to achieve while creating Tasks from the SPD Workflow

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Monday, May 1, 2017 7:28 AM

All replies

• Hi Vips,

Per my knowledge, creating sub task is just available in Task list UI.

Master task and sub task use the same content type and they can be distinguished by a hidden lookup column named ParentID.

As a workaround, I suggest you adding a new column to this list such as choice column with yes/no option to distinguish the master task and sub task.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:58 AM
  • Thanks Grace for your suggestion but I am still confused as to how adding a column would help me creating a task and subtask from the workflow?

Can you please elaborate?

Vips

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 2:52 PM
  • Hi Vips,

To achieve this simple workaround, just create a choice column such as named “Is master task?” in task list UI.

And based on your workflow steps, create a new item in task list that populates the value of this choice column with no for subtask.

Reference:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sharepoint/comments/2jzey4/sharepoint_2013_creating_subtask_with_workflow/

Best regards,

Grace Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 11:17 AM
  • Hi Vips,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members yo find the similar post quickly.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Thanks Grace for helping me out.

If I understood it correct we are just trying to add a column to mark the master tasks but it still wont be displaying the task list as I depicted in the original question.

This seems to be just a workaround rather than the actual solution.

For now I am creating these tasks and manually indenting in the task list - but may not be able to do this for long and have to figure out a way to get this done automatically.

Vips

Saturday, May 27, 2017 10:43 AM
  • You can do this very easily using SPD and an HTTP service in your workflow.
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 8:06 AM