non-elevated user privileges RRS feed

• Question

• i tried downloading bitcomet 1.17 and before i can open the program a window pops up and says please run this installer with non-elevated user privileges can someone please explain this to me and how to fix it thankx
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which Windows do you have?
    Is it Windows Vista or Windows 7?

If the answer is Windows Vista | 7, then, a UAC elevation might be
    required, however, a non-elevated process or program execution
    is a restricted one since it runs using the Standard-User account.

However, if you elevate a process/program then they will be running 
    with highest-privileges and have more access and full permission. 

I hope this helps...

BTW, post a screen-shot of that message...

Have a nice day...

Best regards,
    Fisnik  
    Coder24.com
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:59 AM
  • Not sure how it gets elevated. Maybe the file name triggers an elevation, try rename the installer file to not contain words like "setup" or "update". 

Anyway I suggest you to visit www.bitcomet.com and report to its forums. Maybe you can get a new version that fix this problem. This forum is for writing software that uses Windows's security APIs.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 1:04 AM
  • This does not help at all.. Can you please explain so we can understand.
    I have windows 7. I have never heard of this before..
    Step by step what to do?????
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:06 AM
  • If you need help in renaming a file, visit Microsoft Answers forums. This forum is for writing software.

If you need help in getting a version of BitComet that does not have this issue, visit BitComet's forums. People who want to help others on BitComet would not expect a software writer in Windows security to have this kind of problem or raise questions not related to writing windows security software in this forum.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:04 AM
  • The manifest on the setup indicates this installer isn't meant to elevate.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?><assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0"><assemblyIdentity version="1.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86" name="Nullsoft.NSIS.exehead" type="win32"/><description>Nullsoft Install System v2.42.4-Unicode</description><dependency><dependentAssembly><assemblyIdentity type="win32" name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls" version="6.0.0.0" processorArchitecture="X86" publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df" language="*" /></dependentAssembly></dependency><trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"><security><requestedPrivileges><requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false"/></requestedPrivileges></security></trustInfo></assembly>

Can you tell us what the window you see says, exactly?
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 4:43 PM
  • UAC has IDT (Installer Detection Technology),
    which allows UAC to very fast determine wether
    the file thats being executes it a setup or a regular
    program (exe), if Setup then UAC will know that this
    requires elevation.

UAC will also check for signature (like certificate and publisher information),
    and, based on the facts UAC can display different dialogs when prompt for
    permission or credentials.

Coder24.com
    Friday, January 15, 2010 3:40 PM
  • by simply right clicking on the the setup of bitcomet and choose compatibility troubleshoot...hope rest u can do yourself...
    Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:37 PM