none
How to automatically install inf driver in Windows 8/8.1 or how to get digital signature for inf driver RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on an old project. In this project we use an inf driver, that until now we installed it without problems with a setup project (now use InstallShield) on Windows XP, Vista and 7. What we do is copy it directly into the [Windows]\Inf folder. Now we are having problems with customers that are getting laptop with Windows 8/8.1. Windows 8 doesn't allow install our driver (showing this message "The third-party INF does not contain digital signature information") and we have to follow these steps to do so. It seems that the reason is that the driver doesn't have a digital signature. The steps that must be followed to install the driver are very embarrassing for customers.

So is there any way to install the driver automatically? If the only way is getting digital signature, how can we get it and how can we sign the driver with it?

Thank you

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:27 AM

Answers

• Your conclusions are correct. Here is the reading to begin.

Or, you may want to skip the hassle and just hire a consultant to do the "mechanical" work for you (help with buying the suitable certificate and prepare your software for automated install).

Note: if your customer is a big company which already has their own certificate, you can offer them to use their certificate to sign your software for themselves.

-- pa

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 11:38 AM

All replies

• OK, so what you are currently doing is all wrong. The fact that "it worked" is irrelevant.  You need a digital signature, you need to obtain one from the many supported sources. You need to create a "signed driver package" as documented by MSFT here: Kernel mode signing and then you need to install your signed driver package using dpinst.exe or the dfxapi or its equivalent. You do not need to go through WHQL, however if you do not your customers will have an additional prompt to approve the driver install - which prompt can be dispensed with if you install the public form of your cert on the system first, as documented in the Release Signing section of the document linked above.

Note that Win10 is going to change the requirements again. 

Mark Roddy Windows Driver and OS consultant www.hollistech.com

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:23 PM
  • Thank you Pavel and Mark for you answers. I am seeing that driver signing is not a cakewalk. I am reading the documetation but it is very technical for my english level...

You need a digital signature, you need to obtain one from the many supported sources. You need to create a "signed driver package" as documented by MSFT here: Kernel mode signing and then you need to install your signed driver package using dpinst.exe or the dfxapi or its equivalent.

So although sign the driver, I can not simply copy the files in the [Windows]\Inf folder? I have to use dpinst os dfxapi? Is this posible with InstallShield deployment projects?

Note that Win10 is going to change the requirements again.

Do you know what are the changes or have not yet been announced?
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:42 AM