none
Using MS ActiveSync Protocol, how do I sync draft folder? RRS feed

• Question

• I am investigating the possibility of syncing draft folder in mobile devices. I manage to sync draft emails from server to client but not the other way round.

According to the [MS-ASCMD], the "Add" command cannot be used to add any e-mail items from the client to the server. So I wonder if there is any other way we can achieve this. Any updates from this post "Using MS ActiveSync Protocol, how to add an item into the drafts folder" (Sorry fail to add link in this post)?

If we cannot use the "Add" command, can we at least use the "Change" command to update a server created draft from client to server?

From [MS-ASCMD][2.2.3.24 Change]:

"If the airsyncbase:Body, airsyncbase:Data, or contacts:Picture elements are not present, the corresponding properties will remain unchanged."

Does this mean if I post the "Change" command with updated Body and Data, the content of an email message can be updated on the server? I tried this approach but the server (Exchange 2010) returns STATUS 6 (The client has sent a malformed or invalid item.). Is this an expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Steven

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 10:09 AM

Answers

• Hi Steven,

Thank you for your patience. You are asking whether there is a way to use the Change element of the Sync command request for updating a draft message from the client on the server. Yes, you can use the Change element of a Sync command request if the Change element complies with the severe limitations, which are documented in [MS-ASEMAIL] — v20130203 section “3.1.5.3 Sync Command Request”, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee219087(v=exchg.80).aspx. In this case the ApplicationData, which is the child element of the Change element, can have only the Flag, Read, and Categories child elements.

Thanks, Vilmos
    • Proposed as answer by Vilmos Foltenyi Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Ng Friday, April 5, 2013 7:27 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven,

Thanks for your Exchange ActiveSync question.  One of the Open Specifications team will respond shortly to begin assisting you.

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Hi Steven,

I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Saturday, March 9, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Hi Steven,

As you wrote in your posting you are aware that [MS-ASCMD] — v20130203 / 2.2.3.7.2 Add (Sync)
    “The Add element cannot be used to add any email items from the client to the server”, so you can’t use the Add to upload draft emails from the client to the server; no question here.

I don’t understand how you want to use the Change. The Change assumes that object exists on the server and on the client, so cannot be used for uploading draft messages from the client to the server.

If I misunderstand you, please restate your question, one question.

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Hi Vilmos,

Thanks for your reply. Assume there is a draft email on the server and I manage to sync it to the client, can I update the content of an existing draft message using the Change command?

Thanks,

Steven

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 11:37 AM
  • Hi Steven,

I am still looking into this issue. I hope to have more information for you soon. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Vilmos

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Hi Steven,

Thank you for your patience. You are asking whether there is a way to use the Change element of the Sync command request for updating a draft message from the client on the server. Yes, you can use the Change element of a Sync command request if the Change element complies with the severe limitations, which are documented in [MS-ASEMAIL] — v20130203 section “3.1.5.3 Sync Command Request”, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee219087(v=exchg.80).aspx. In this case the ApplicationData, which is the child element of the Change element, can have only the Flag, Read, and Categories child elements.

Thanks, Vilmos
    • Proposed as answer by Vilmos Foltenyi Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:04 PM
    • Marked as answer by Steven_Ng Friday, April 5, 2013 7:27 AM
    Thursday, April 4, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Thanks for your help, Vilmos.

Steven

Friday, April 5, 2013 7:28 AM