none
Problems installing .Net framework 3.5 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

•  I am experiencing difficulty installing .Net framework 3.5 sp1 on my production server running Windows 2003 standard with sp2. Already installed on my server are .Net framework versions 1.1, 2.0 sp2, and 3.0 sp1.

I first noticed that 3.5 sp1 was failing to install via WSUS 3.0, and it also fails when I try to install manually after downloading the full version of the file, and even fails with the separate 3.5 version that doesn't include updates for the earlier versions. I have also tried disabling my antivirus (McAfee VirusScan) during these installation attempts, but nothing has worked.

I have downloaded and ran the Collection Utility as I have seen advised to others, and you can access the "vslogs.cab" file at the following location:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/7/5/1990400/vslogs.cab

I would appreciate any assistance you guys can offer.

Atman
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Atman,

In your file logs, I found an error as the following:

MSI (s) (F8:2C) [12:00:18:703]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 1714. The older version of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612.

The Root cause of the issue can be:
    • The Windows Installer registry information for the .NET Framework got into an inconsistent state; the system thinks that one or more hotfixes are installed for the .NET Framework, but the information about the source location of the hotfix is missing from the registry
    • The Windows Installer cache (%windir%\Installer) is missing some information about a .NET Framework patch that is installed on the system
    Here are two methods for you to solve your issue.

One simple solution can be to use .NET cleanup tool to remove .NET 3.0 and then try installing .NET 3.5 sp1 again. .Net 3.0 SP2 is included in .Net 3.5 SP1.

Another solution can be rebuilding the installer cache.
    For more information, see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2006/11/30/rebuilding-the-installer-cache.aspx

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:44 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:46 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Atman,

MSI (s) (F8:2C) [12:00:18:703]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 -- Error 1714. The older version of Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612.

• The Windows Installer registry information for the .NET Framework got into an inconsistent state; the system thinks that one or more hotfixes are installed for the .NET Framework, but the information about the source location of the hotfix is missing from the registry
    • The Windows Installer cache (%windir%\Installer) is missing some information about a .NET Framework patch that is installed on the system

One simple solution can be to use .NET cleanup tool to remove .NET 3.0 and then try installing .NET 3.5 sp1 again. .Net 3.0 SP2 is included in .Net 3.5 SP1.

http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2006/11/30/rebuilding-the-installer-cache.aspx

Thanks

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:44 AM
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Tuesday, February 10, 2009 1:46 AM
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:00 AM
  • YiChun Chen said:

Hi Atman,

• The Windows Installer registry information for the .NET Framework 2.0 got into an inconsistent state; the system thinks that one or more hotfixes are installed for the .NET Framework, but the information about the source location of the hotfix is missing from the registry
    • The Windows Installer cache (%windir%\Installer) is missing some information about a .NET Framework 2.0 patch that is installed on the system

Thanks

Thank you Chen...that worked like a charm. I removed 3.0 using the Cleanup Tool because it couldn't be removed from Add\Remove Programs due to some missing source file, after that 3.5 sp1 went on like a dream.
    Monday, February 9, 2009 2:58 PM
  • Hi Atman,

I'm so glad to hear that it works well. Congratulations! Good job! :)
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:30 AM