none
Updated DS runs out of memory while installing on client.

Question

• So you invest in low end industrial IPC's that have worked fine so far in hundreds of installations.
    Then because of some issue you need to update the master image with recent hotfix.
    So you do.
    Then your installing your first master image, onto your hardware and you get :

Windows setup failed to install packages or apply component settings while offline servicing the image not enough memory available to complete the operation.

Thanks MS !!!! your a joy to work with.

As always its big challenge as i don't understand on how it would ever pay back our investments into MS.
    Probably the last time we do anything with MS.

Thursday, July 16, 2015 3:57 PM

Answers

• well we did test it on a 64GB system and it didnt matter

I can now say,
    That Microsoft specs are no longer 2Gig memory for building an uptodate WES system using ICE.
    On crashed system i was able to see that only about 10gig harddisk space was used

This thread is me saying that with 2 GB systems you wont be able to deploy latest up to date version with standard wes deploy tools in the normal way. I'd like MS to recognize that, as they advertise it can be done., but I warn other forum members for this, more often this cannot be done in the normal way (so dont do the hotfixes on your DS share)..
    If you are in such device deployment, its best to install only a few updates (or none).
    Then later use Windows update (you'l have to install support for that), to further update your image online, then when up to date sysprep it. You can then decide to disable windows update if you like but thats up to you. (installing updates one by one doesnt cause out of memory).
    This is how i solved this situation.
    Doing installs with windows update, can be very time consuming be aware of that. As often you will require a reboot with windows update, its not a process that is automated..you might need to monitor it manually for days... :(

• Marked as answer by PGT2008 Saturday, July 18, 2015 11:02 AM
    • Edited by PGT2008 Friday, August 14, 2015 1:25 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2015 11:02 AM

All replies

• Yes, I have ran into this. Updates add to the image and more so during installation. You have to increase the target disk size for the install to work. Once the OS has been installed and setup, you can clean up the image (DiskClean) and create the master image (Sysprep). The final image can then be placed in a smaller disk.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Thursday, July 16, 2015 9:03 PM
  • We use ssd disks of 32GB isnt that much larger then the WES 7 specs ?
    we have 2GB of memory, thats also 1 gig more then the specs.
    But 2GB is also the maximum installable memory on these devices.

• Edited by PGT2008 Friday, July 17, 2015 11:34 AM
    Friday, July 17, 2015 11:33 AM
  • Depends on what you have in the image. 32GB should have worked, but try going up to 64GB and see if the image will install.

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide SIM (WEI), Pro Guide to WE8S & WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

Friday, July 17, 2015 4:18 PM
  • well we did test it on a 64GB system and it didnt matter

I can now say,
    That Microsoft specs are no longer 2Gig memory for building an uptodate WES system using ICE.
    On crashed system i was able to see that only about 10gig harddisk space was used

This thread is me saying that with 2 GB systems you wont be able to deploy latest up to date version with standard wes deploy tools in the normal way. I'd like MS to recognize that, as they advertise it can be done., but I warn other forum members for this, more often this cannot be done in the normal way (so dont do the hotfixes on your DS share)..
    If you are in such device deployment, its best to install only a few updates (or none).
    Then later use Windows update (you'l have to install support for that), to further update your image online, then when up to date sysprep it. You can then decide to disable windows update if you like but thats up to you. (installing updates one by one doesnt cause out of memory).
    This is how i solved this situation.
    Doing installs with windows update, can be very time consuming be aware of that. As often you will require a reboot with windows update, its not a process that is automated..you might need to monitor it manually for days... :(

• Marked as answer by PGT2008 Saturday, July 18, 2015 11:02 AM
    • Edited by PGT2008 Friday, August 14, 2015 1:25 PM
    Saturday, July 18, 2015 11:02 AM
  • Same problem here!

I made an image with all current available updates and the installation quits after 2 hours. The install log says that the system is low/out of memory.

2GB RAM / 1.4Ghz AMD CPU / 32GB SSD

I installed many images on the same platform and I never experienced anything like that...

Monday, August 03, 2015 8:18 AM
  • I investigated similar on WE8S, but should also apply here. The prolem is not the disk space, but the systems memory. Many files get extracted during install of the image (before they are applied), and a combination of "many components" (this includes updats) and "less" RAM may result in that situation.

Some things you can try:

• If possible, increase RAM
    • Divide setup into multiple steps: Install features in an initial setup, then add updates in a DISM /apply-unattend session and so on
    • I didn't find a way how to, but maybe it is possible to instruct setup to use an alternate path for file extraction (similar to DISM's /scratchdir option)

Regards,
    Willi K.

• Proposed as answer by Sean LimingModerator Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:06 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by PGT2008 Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:34 PM
    Monday, August 03, 2015 12:42 PM
  • Must be karma. I ran into a project that had a system with limited resources. Applying 380 updates failed. Tracked both disk and RAM, and it was RAM that topped out first.

Willi K. Solution of breaking down the updates works, but it is painful.

MS needs to consider SP2.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 9:06 PM
  • Thank you for the important hint.

Even with 4GB of ram, it runs out. I think I shall have to go through all 290+ updates and remove the 288 IE security ones.

Or maybe use a WSUS server to update after the fact.

On the rare successful install, cleanup got me 7 GB back!

=^x^=

Friday, August 14, 2015 10:13 AM
  • I got the same out of memory error with 4 GB RAM installing WES7 x64.

It works after the device was upgraded to 6 GB RAM.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 7:03 PM
  • I put an article together based on my experience: http://annabooks.com/Articles/Articles_WES7/Disk-and-Ram-Resource-Issue-with-Windows-Embedded-Updates-Rev-1.2.pdf

The customer put a target development system together that had more and more storage. The master image was then installed on the system with smaller RAM and storage.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:14 AM
  • Thanks for the article.

What I realized is that the machine I installed WES7 onto did not have to be configured exactly the same as the machine the SW will run on.

So I used the same device to do the install, but upped the memory to 6GB RAM and gave it 35 GB of disk storage. As you mentioned, I ran disk clean. I had to figure out how to do it in a script, but it seems to be working.

Even after diskclean, however, the WinSxS folder is 1.5 GB bigger than my last release about a year ago.

Wednesday, November 25, 2015 8:42 PM