Multiple remote desktop connections

Question

• I have looked and can't find an answer to this. With previous versions of windows you can start up as many remote desktop clients that you want. It isn't that uncommon for me to connect to 3 - 6 different server / computers at once at times. However with windows 8 as far as i can tell, you can only start up one instance of the remote desktop program. Is this correct? Is there any way to start more than one instance at a time? That will be a huge setback if you can only connect to a single server at a time.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:05 AM

Answers

• Are you starting from the tiles? Try run mstsc from the run window.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Proposed as answer by AndyCadley Friday, September 23, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Exavior Friday, September 23, 2011 1:02 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:45 AM

All replies

• Are you starting from the tiles? Try run mstsc from the run window.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    • Proposed as answer by AndyCadley Friday, September 23, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Exavior Friday, September 23, 2011 1:02 PM
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:45 AM
  • yes I was trying to run it from the tile. Didn't think to check if the old version was hiding there somewhere. Thanks.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 1:02 PM
  • You actually shouldn't need to run multiple instances of the new Remote Desktop client - if you open the app bars, you should see a bar on the top where you can open new RDP sessions (or switch to existing ones) without starting another client.

Mstsc.exe is another option though.

Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:21 AM