Windows Live Integration and big brother

Question

• Will there be anyway to have that same kind of share that was demo'd without going through live.  I really don't like the idea of Microsoft, or the government for that matter, being able to access my computer.   It just seems like a security nightmare waiting to happen.  How is this secured, how do we know Microsoft isn't going to access our machines?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:23 PM

Answers

• Keep in mind that you can strongly encrypt sensitive information *before* uploading it to Windows Live. You don't have to give Microsoft your encryption keys and nobody, including Microsoft and the government, can decrypt that information without those keys.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:48 PM

All replies

• First off: because they have better things to do.
    Also, Germany had this issue with windows before, they wanted to see the source code for windows to Ensure that didn't happen.
    Windows didn't give them it, so now lots of universities in Germany run Linux.

So you have 2 options here:
    - Stay with windows, and don't be paranoid

- Switch to Linux.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:36 PM
  • You don't have to login with a windows live id, when you add users click on the "more about logon options" link and then you'll be given the option of creating  local account (i.e. one that is not linked to your windows live profile)
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Keep in mind that you can strongly encrypt sensitive information *before* uploading it to Windows Live. You don't have to give Microsoft your encryption keys and nobody, including Microsoft and the government, can decrypt that information without those keys.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:48 PM
  • Don't put important data on the developer preview. It is for the developers to test their software's compatibly, not to keep your data safe. 

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 9:53 PM
  • Sheng:

I wasn't planning on it.  I was really hoping there would be a way to have this set up to sync with a remote PC via port forwarding or a private server.  My issue is with it philosophically not just the developer preview.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:41 PM
  • I am also concerned with how much 'information' Microsoft and other companies feel they have the right to browse on my machine. I keep everything local where possible.
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:54 PM
  • That's exactly what I want an answer from MS. I want to find out how secure this is from them or government prying.
    Saturday, October 01, 2011 5:01 AM
  • Disconnect your box from Internet access...

You will be save!

Keep n mind, that you always use the "old" stuff - port forwarding is still possible (putty/ssl).

Developing and getting apps for Metro via Store would be another thing though - same problems as you would have with iOS or Android...

Saturday, October 01, 2011 9:42 AM