none
Table not as wide as specified RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

Please take a look at ATE-1484.docx.

1. The table is specified to be 122.8% of the page wide. Is that percentage the percentage of the paper width (8.5") or the percentage of the area inside the margins (6.5")? 2.18.97 says "These percentages shall be calculated relative to the extents specified by the parent XML element." The parent element is the body so not clear what is used.
    2. The percent is against the width of the containing object only - correct? We don't add to it if the left margin is -0.5"?
    3. The right border between the two blocks is drawn as though there's another column to the right. Is there something weird in the specified table? Or is this just a bug in the border rendering?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

• Edited by DavidThi808 Tuesday, February 19, 2019 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2019 1:19 PM

Answers

• Dave, 

For #1, I'm not sure where 2.18.97 is. Can you tell me where you read that?
    ISO 29500-1 17.4.63 tblW (Preferred Table Width) states: 
    "Any width value of type pct for this element shall be calculated relative to
    the text extents of the page (page width excluding margins)." And AFAICT this
    works out exactly to the 122.8 percent.

For #2, that is correct but Word doesn't even allow -0.5" for the left margin.
    The units for pgMar are only allowed in whole/positive twips from the edge of
    the page.

For #3, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the row
    with "Product", "Item" in it? This actually has three cells, one small one to
    the right with nothing in it. Or are you referring to the first row of the
    table? 

Tom 
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave,

Thank you for posting your question. Once of our engineers will assist you presently. 

Thanks,

Jeff McCashland | Microsoft Protocols Open Specifications Team

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 5:09 PM
  • Dave,

thanks for the question, I'll get back to you soon on this. 

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Monday, February 25, 2019 6:00 PM
  • Dave, 

For #1, I'm not sure where 2.18.97 is. Can you tell me where you read that?
    ISO 29500-1 17.4.63 tblW (Preferred Table Width) states: 
    "Any width value of type pct for this element shall be calculated relative to
    the text extents of the page (page width excluding margins)." And AFAICT this
    works out exactly to the 122.8 percent.

For #2, that is correct but Word doesn't even allow -0.5" for the left margin.
    The units for pgMar are only allowed in whole/positive twips from the edge of
    the page.

For #3, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Are you talking about the row
    with "Product", "Item" in it? This actually has three cells, one small one to
    the right with nothing in it. Or are you referring to the first row of the
    table? 

Tom 
    Saturday, March 2, 2019 8:19 PM
  • Hi;

1. I may not have the latest spec - where can I download it? The one I have has 2.18.97 as ST_TblWidth and that definition does not have the key text you listed - "this element shall be calculated relative to the text extents of the page (page width excluding margins)." So that answers my main question.
    2. For the indent I was talking the left position of the table. But based on the spec for the width, that has no impact on what the percent is a percent of.
    3. Thank you - I did not notice those empty cells. But it's still weird that the border is sort of started for the cell on the right, but no completed.

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 1:22 PM
  • The latest of ISO 29500-1 is 2016 and is found here:

https://www.iso.org/standard/71691.html

Thanks,

Tom

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 7:50 PM