SQL SERVER 2014 Developer Trial RRS feed

• Question

• I am attempting to install sqlserver 2014 Developer Edition

My os is Windows 8 (64 bit) Home Edition

Ive extracted the software and burned the files to my DVD (I also tried doing this from my hd

I am the only user account on my PC and I am the administrator and I have full control on all of my settings

When I invoke the setup executable (Ive tried run this as administrator or I have just run this) , go to the Installation section and choose

New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation, I get the following error msg

"Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation"

I hit the internet and found that this error would occur if the nbr of characters in the environment variables Path statement >= 2048. I checked mine - it is only 952 

I then ran the System Configuration Checker - I get an error for the Rule - "Setup Administrator. It says the SQL Server Setup does not have administrator rights on this computer. To continue, use an account with administrator rights"

I did additional research on Microsoft's site and found (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000257)_- a fix that involved editing the Local Security Policy - Ive discovered through additional research that the file that drives this is not availalble in Windows 8 Home Edition

Tired and in  dire need of help -

Will

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 9:05 AM

Answers

• Since the error message is a generic one, it is difficult to draw any far-reaching conclusions from it. All we know is "something went wrong".

From where did you get files? If it was a download, try again; the bits may have been corrupted.

You can also look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Logs and see if you find any more clues.

By the way, when I look at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx
    I don't see Windows 8 Home listed, but there is an entry for "Windows 8" alone, whatever that means.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Marked as answer by Donghui Li Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:10 PM

All replies

• Since the error message is a generic one, it is difficult to draw any far-reaching conclusions from it. All we know is "something went wrong".

From where did you get files? If it was a download, try again; the bits may have been corrupted.

You can also look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Setup Bootstrap\Logs and see if you find any more clues.

By the way, when I look at
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143506.aspx
    I don't see Windows 8 Home listed, but there is an entry for "Windows 8" alone, whatever that means.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se
    • Marked as answer by Donghui Li Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:24 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

Can you right click on setup file and select run as administrator. Tell me what this returns. Can create a new account on windows machine and add that as local administrator and then log off and login with new account created and then locate setup file and right click and select run as administrator.

Make sure you read This support article before proceeding

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My Technet Wiki Article

MVP

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:51 PM