Communicator 2007 R2 - transfer contacts RRS feed

• Question

• I've recently changed communicator ID and would like to migrate my 'friend list' from one account to the other - Looking around online I noticed that most people mentioned the use of the GalContact.db /GalContact.db.idx

Transfering those under my user folder didn't work - Is there anyway to allow my new user to be populated with my previous contacts/groups?

It's a bit annoying that there isn't a direct 'export' option. I understand that contacts should remain with one account, but in my case, it would be really nice to transfer those. If I have to, It'll be done by hand, although I'm not looking forward to transferring 200+ contacts and recreating each group.

Any help is appreciated!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:59 PM

Answers

• You can do this using the OC automation API.  It has support for enumerating your contacts and groups.  I wrote a little app that reads the contact and group info and outputs an XML file with the data.  You can then use the API to read the XML file and create the groups and contacts in your new OC instance.

Take a look at the OCSDKWrapper package.  It provides a wrapper around the OC Automation API that makes this pretty simple.

http://ocsdkwrapper.codeplex.com/

Oscar Newkerk

Oscarnew Consulting

• Proposed as answer by Oscarn Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kai Strandskov [Msft] Tuesday, June 21, 2011 8:26 PM
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 2:53 PM