Guided tour help... "BC30456" RRS feed

• Question

• User692921801 posted

I'm on this step (http://asp.net/guided-tour/s14.aspx) of the Tour.

When I add the code it looks like this:

Imports Microsoft.VisualBasic

Public Class DataAccess

Public Function GetAuthors(ByVal state As String) As AuthorsDataSet

Dim authorsTableAdapter As New AuthorsDataSetTableAdapters.authorsTableAdapter
    Dim authorsData As New AuthorsDataSet()
    authorsTableAdapter.Fill(authorsData.authors, state)
    Return authorsData

End Function

Public Sub UpdateAuthor(ByVal au_lname As String, ByVal au_fname As String, _

ByVal phone As String, ByVal address As String, ByVal city As String, ByVal state As String, _
    ByVal zip As String, ByVal contract As Boolean, ByVal Original_au_id As String)
    Dim authorsTableAdapter As New AuthorsDataSetTableAdapters.authorsTableAdapter
    authorsTableAdapter.Update(Original_au_id, au_lname, au_fname, phone, address, city, state, _
    zip, contract, Original_au_id)

End Sub

End Class

The problem is the "authorsTableAdapter.Update" is underlined and I get an error message "Compiler Error Message: BC30456: 'Update' is not a member of 'AuthorsDataSetTableAdapters.authorsTableAdapter'.

I'm very new to this and I'm doing the guided tour to learn VWD.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

Friday, August 22, 2008 10:54 AM

All replies

• User2098947605 posted

I'm not familiar with the "tour" but I believe the wizard only creates the .Update() method if you indicate that you want to include sQL Updates.  There's a button at one point that asks if you want to generate Insert/Update/Delete statements.  If you click that button, the wizard will give you the options of specifying which operations you want.  If you select Update, it will create the .Update() method on the typed dataset.

Hope that helps.

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 7:15 PM