Unable to Update Data-Connected Linked Table RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have recently upgraded to Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Power Pivot for Excel 32-Bit, version 11.0.2100.60. Since the upgrade I encounter the following problem that did NOT occur in PowerPivot v1:

Workbook A is a VSTO Workbook project that contains a data-bound (to a cached DataSet) Excel Table (ListObject). The ListObject in turn is the source of a PowerPivot Linked table. When the ListObject table conatains data, refreshing the PowerPivot table works as expected. When the Excel table is empty (contains no data), refreshing the PowerPivot table returns an error saying:

Unable to Update. The following tables could not be updated: FUN. Linked tables might not etc..

This error does not occur with PowerPivot v1

Workbook B is similar, except that no VSTO (no VBA either) is involved. Instead, the Excel table is filled by via a Data Connection. Here also, when the table is empty I get the above error, but only in the new PowerPivot version.

If, on the other hand, I have a plain Excel table with no data connection / data binding involved and I create a Linked Table in PowerPivot from this table, no error occurs even when the Excel table is empty.

Is this a bug? if so where do I report it?

Georg

Clarification: the problem crops up when the empty Linked Table is the lookup table (the 1-side) in a PowerPivot Relationship. Data connections or bindings seem to have nothing to do with the problem.

• Edited by GeorgU Friday, November 30, 2012 8:26 AM typo
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Elvis

I don't see that my issue is anything to do with date columns. I can reproduce it with just two Excel (source) tables used as PowerPivot Linked Tables as follows:

Part Table (master):

PartNo Description
    1 Part 1
    2 Part 2

Order Table (detail):

OrderNo PartNo Quantity
    1 1 10
    1 2 1
    2 1 1
    2 2 1

Detailed Problem Description (reworded/clarified with respect to original post):

Concerns PowerPivot versions 11.0.2100.60 and 11.0.3000.0

When a Linked Table is the lookup table in a PowerPivot Relationship, and the corresponding Excel table contains no rows, then, on updating the Linked Table (Update Selected in PowerPivot's Linked Table tab), an error is thrown.

The error did not occur in version 10.50.2500.0

Also, in version 10.50.2500.0, when you delete all rows from the table in Excel, the corresponding linked table in PowerPivot shows no (that is zero) rows. In the newer versions mentioned, the PowerPivot table contains one row with all empty cells - which must be considered not correct (one row with empty cells is not the same as no row), and is probably part of the problem.

To reproduce:

create, in Excel, one master and one detail table and fill with sample data.
    create PowerPivot linked tables from both.
    create a relationship from detail to master (lookup side)

remove, in Excel, all rows from the detail table, then press Update All in PowerPivot tab: in PowerPivot the detail table shows one row with all empty cells.

remove, in Excel, all rows from the master table, then press Update All in PowerPivot tab: PowerPivot displays an error.

regards - Georg

Friday, December 7, 2012 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi GeorgU,

This issue mighe be caused that PowerPivot does not support importing date columns that are formatted in several international formats. Please close the Excel, change your PC's date and time format to English/US, reopen the document, and then try again.

For detail information, please see:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/3296.analytics-for-twitter-known-issues.aspx#powerpivot_unable_to_update_tbltweets

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2012 5:38 AM
  • Hi Elvis

I don't see that my issue is anything to do with date columns. I can reproduce it with just two Excel (source) tables used as PowerPivot Linked Tables as follows:

Part Table (master):

PartNo Description
    1 Part 1
    2 Part 2

Order Table (detail):

OrderNo PartNo Quantity
    1 1 10
    1 2 1
    2 1 1
    2 2 1

Detailed Problem Description (reworded/clarified with respect to original post):

Concerns PowerPivot versions 11.0.2100.60 and 11.0.3000.0

When a Linked Table is the lookup table in a PowerPivot Relationship, and the corresponding Excel table contains no rows, then, on updating the Linked Table (Update Selected in PowerPivot's Linked Table tab), an error is thrown.

The error did not occur in version 10.50.2500.0

Also, in version 10.50.2500.0, when you delete all rows from the table in Excel, the corresponding linked table in PowerPivot shows no (that is zero) rows. In the newer versions mentioned, the PowerPivot table contains one row with all empty cells - which must be considered not correct (one row with empty cells is not the same as no row), and is probably part of the problem.

To reproduce:

create, in Excel, one master and one detail table and fill with sample data.
    create PowerPivot linked tables from both.
    create a relationship from detail to master (lookup side)

remove, in Excel, all rows from the detail table, then press Update All in PowerPivot tab: in PowerPivot the detail table shows one row with all empty cells.

remove, in Excel, all rows from the master table, then press Update All in PowerPivot tab: PowerPivot displays an error.

regards - Georg

Friday, December 7, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Hi

Any comment from Microsoft concerning what looks conspicuously like a BUG?

Thursday, January 10, 2013 9:14 AM
  • Hi

Any comment from Microsoft concerning what looks conspicuously like a BUG?

Please post bugs on Connect. This forum is just for troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:25 PM