none
Writing legacy NT4 driver... RRS feed

• Question

• I need to write a serial touchscreen driver for NT4... I have the same driver for XP/2K, but I assume it won't work due to WDM etc.

First:  Can I use a current WDK (just change target)?  Or should I find the old one (NTDDK)?  Where to find?

Second:  Is there example code available for something like Sermouse for NT4?  That's what I used for 2K/XP.

Really at a loss here... the wayback machine's got me down!  Any old hands that can throw me a bone?

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:42 AM

Answers

• No idea where to find an nt4 ddk which is where you will find sermouse. Nt4 hasn't been a valid compilation target since at least vista's kit. MSFT product support may know where to get an nt4 kit, but even that is a huge longshot.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:46 AM

All replies

• No idea where to find an nt4 ddk which is where you will find sermouse. Nt4 hasn't been a valid compilation target since at least vista's kit. MSFT product support may know where to get an nt4 kit, but even that is a huge longshot.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 3:46 AM
  • Doron, thanks for your help... looking through the archives, I found an old XPSP1 DDK... it wouldn't install on my Win7 quad-core, imagine that!  It complained about IA64... I tried the compatibility troubleshooter, no luck there.  I may have to boot up a really old machine to get this going.  Are there issues with going backward with DDK's?  Should I uninstall any DDK's on my old XP machine before installing this old DDK?  The pain of legacy, a legacy of pain!

Just installed the DDK... this mouser only works for 2K-later due to PnP/WDM/etc... I'll have to go to the storage room!  Remember the beige plastic boxes, the ones that barely closed?  I have some of those... hopefully NTDDK is in there.  Thanks again... I'll update if/when I get results.
    • Edited by Sleve Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:34 AM
    Tuesday, March 5, 2013 4:16 AM
  • Steve,

If Doron or someone from Microsoft says it is ok, I have the NT4.0 DDK on my system, and can supply you the sources, and potentially other needed materials.  I believe you could use the XP DDK compiler (or perhaps slightly later) to build for NT4.0.

Don Burn Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 5:55 PM
  • I don't think it would be an issue.

Tuesday, March 5, 2013 10:39 PM
  • Donald, thanks very much! If I can use the XP DDK 2.x to compile all I really need is the mouser project (sermouse, mouser, whatever)... my direct email is scowell@sbcglobal.net.  And thanks to the forum!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013 3:28 AM