Central Administration Error: HTTP 500 Internal Server Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm facing a weird issue where all of my SharePoint 2013 websites are working absolutely fine, however, central admin is throwing error "HTTP 500 Internal Server Error".

It's a 2 server based installation where 1 is DB and the other is App/WFE.

No helpful error's i'm receiving on my logs as well.

Any idea?

Sohaib Khan

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:43 AM

Answers

• Hi Sohaib,

For this issue, please check whether your account is in the Administrator group as Server Manager -> Configuration -> Local Users and Groups -> Groups -> right-click Administrators -> Properties. In the Administrators Properties dialog, click Add and then add your setup account, compare the result.

Re-run the SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration wizard and re-provision the Central Administration. On this process, select option “don’t disconnect” and also on next screen select this site will host the Central Administration.

In addition, there are some troubleshooting articles about this issue, please take a look at:

http://itfreesupport.com/2014/08/common-troubleshooting-step-sharepoint-web-site-and-central-admin-500-internal-server-error/

http://usesharepoint.blogspot.com/2014/03/error-fix-central-admin-not-opening.html

If the above doesn't work, please check ULS log to find more information about this issue. The path of ULS log file is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS.

Best Regards,

Wendy

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, December 18, 2015 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:24 AM

All replies

• Hello Sohaib, 

Usually 500 error indicates to application pool issues. Can you reset your application pool under IIS? At times if you have changed the password of your app pool account you may encounter this issue. If you have changed the password, you should go to the IIS Manager and update the password. 

Also, look for app pool if it is classic mode or Integrated Mode. Try switching around and you should be able to resolve the issue. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Srikanth Nagendranath

Srikanth

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 6:54 AM
  • Thanks Srikanth,

I've done the iisreset and enter the credentials on application again despite the fact that credentials were not changed. 

My application pool is in integrated mode. If i change it to 'Classic' then it starts giving 'HTTP 403 Forbidden' error.

Sohaib Khan

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 7:53 AM
  • Hello Sohaib, 

So, this means that the issue is with the Application Pool. You may want to check if any of the SharePoint Web  Services has stopped under the IIS Manager? Let me know. 

Regads,

Srikanth

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:02 AM
  • All application pools are started

Sohaib Khan

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:16 AM
  • No, not this one. You'll need to check under the website: 

Srikanth

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:43 AM
  • How to verify this? When i browse any application under SharePoint Web Services then it doesn't work.

Sohaib Khan

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:12 AM
  • Is any of the sites in stopped state? If yes, which site is stopped. 

Srikanth

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 9:21 AM
  • No site is in stopped state

Sohaib Khan

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 10:50 AM
  • Hi Sohaib

Can you check if 'SharePoint Farm' account is added as local admin on the server on which CA is configured to run?

Thanks Mohit

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 12:17 PM
  • Hi Sohaib,

For this issue, please check whether your account is in the Administrator group as Server Manager -> Configuration -> Local Users and Groups -> Groups -> right-click Administrators -> Properties. In the Administrators Properties dialog, click Add and then add your setup account, compare the result.

Re-run the SharePoint 2013 Products Configuration wizard and re-provision the Central Administration. On this process, select option “don’t disconnect” and also on next screen select this site will host the Central Administration.

In addition, there are some troubleshooting articles about this issue, please take a look at:

http://itfreesupport.com/2014/08/common-troubleshooting-step-sharepoint-web-site-and-central-admin-500-internal-server-error/

http://usesharepoint.blogspot.com/2014/03/error-fix-central-admin-not-opening.html

If the above doesn't work, please check ULS log to find more information about this issue. The path of ULS log file is: C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\Web Server Extensions\15\LOGS.

Best Regards,

Wendy

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Victoria Xia Tuesday, December 15, 2015 8:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, December 18, 2015 8:52 AM
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 6:24 AM