none
superimposing a diagram on a spreeadsheet RRS feed

• Question

• The title says it really...............

I have a process whereby inspectors mark on to a sheet flaws that appear on a component surface. This is currently done using a biro on a diagram of the component on a sheet of paper, and is inefficient and unreliable (is it a mark, or is it a small squashed insect?)

My idea was to create an Excel spreadsheet with many small cells, and superimpose a diagram of the component over it.  The operator can then tag the cell that corresponds to a flaw (even better, he can then add a comment).  I did this by creating the diagram as a .pjg and importing it into the spreadsheet header. This is effectively creating a watermark containing the diagram which is superimposed on the cells.  This almost worked perfectly, except that the registration of the image and the cells in the spreadsheet changes as one zooms in.  It is so nearly what I want its frustrating!!!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way of ensuring that the alignment of the watermark/header and the cells in the sheet.  Alternatively, any alternative suggestions of how to achieve what I need gratefully received.

Monday, October 10, 2016 6:54 AM

All replies

• Not sure what you mean by Header/Watermark in excel. Those are available in Word. Any way do you mean "Image as Sheet Back Ground" or Inserting an image as Transparent Background. Paste one such sample.

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed,
    Jadavpore & Asansol

Monday, October 10, 2016 3:27 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm not using word, but Excel.  I don't know how to describe it better, but I'll try.  I have a spreadsheet, and I want to superimpose on to it a transparent diagram such that the users can enter data in a cell which relates to the position of the cell on the diagram.  If it were a Word document then I'd describe it as a watermark.  This can effectively be done in Excel (a suggestion from a Microsoft forum) by placing the diagram in the header such that it looks like a watermark.

I think what you describe as "Image as Sheet Back Ground" is another way of describing it, but it isn't possible in Excel to insert an image as a transparent background - except by putting it in the Header.  This works, but when one zooms the page the registration of the image to the spreadsheet isn't fixed, so any highlighted cell moves relative to the image.

My need is simple, but the solution may not be. All I want is an image superimposed on a spreadsheet, such that when the Zoom function is used the cell remains aligned with the superimposed image.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:23 PM
  • With normal Image it is not possible to change transparency as it destroys the image itself. But some shape (Which we get by Insert->Shapes ) allows that. If your diagram is like that then an option is possible.

Can you share a screenshot of diagram ?

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed,
    Jadavpore & Asansol

Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:44 PM
    Answerer
  • I tried to copy the image the image I'm trying to superimpose on the spreadsheet into here, but it won't let me as it says my account needs to be verified first.  It is quite a complicated diagram of a integrated cct with lots of legs on it and various areas on the substrate that are marked.  The idea is that an inspector can look at a component and mark in the appropriate cell on the diagram any faults he sees, tagging it with a comment if necessary.

As you say, a "shape" keeps its registration with the cells when expanded.  Is it possible to create a shape of one's own and add it to the library of shapes?   

• Edited by e2vPaul Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:42 AM
    Thursday, October 13, 2016 9:30 AM
  • 1 ) If you paste any shape (image file or shapes like arrow, box etc) in sheet, it can be set to adjust it's geometrical properties with that of containing cells. (Right click shape->Size and properties->Property tab)

2 ) If a shape is not Image File/Chart etc then you can make it transparent so that background cells are also visible along with outline of shape. (Right Click Shape->Format Shape->Fill->Set the Transparency to 100%)

Try uploading a sample file after pasting diagram in one drive and share link.

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed,
    Jadavpore & Asansol

Thursday, October 13, 2016 6:17 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm not getting what you mean.  All the standard "Shapes" available in Excel can be made transparent as you describe - but that is no use to me as its not a standard shape I'm using.  As you correctly say, if its an image/chart etc it is not possible to make it transparent. What I need is a "shape" of my own devising (ie. the image I want to superimpose on the spreadsheet).  I can then make it transparent so I can see the cells through it.  This can't be done if its an Image.

The ideal solution would be to be able to create my own shape,  and then add it to the "shapes" directory in Excel, but I suspect this isn't possible.

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:54 AM
  • Well. Is it possible to share a sample file ? Not sure shall be able to give any solution but just could try once.

Best Regards,
    Asadulla Javed,
    Jadavpore & Asansol

Friday, October 14, 2016 9:53 AM
    Answerer
  • >>Is it possible to create a shape of one's own and add it to the library of shapes?  

Office doesn’t provide any functions or ways for that. If this is a new feature you want to include in the future version of Office, I suggest you submit in the following link:

https://excel.uservoice.com/

For your issue now, do you add the diagram in the header?

In my opinion, the image and the cell would be zoomed at the same time.

How do you add the image?

If possible, please share a sample document with us, so that we could try to reproduce and find solution or workaround.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

Monday, October 17, 2016 10:40 AM