none
Sending automated e-mails RRS feed

• Question

• We have a very heavily customized ERP system.  Due to the sensitive nature of our products, i.e. defense articles, we have some tight restrictions we must follow.  When certain things happen, like a sales order is created with a part that requires a background check or export license we have, or should I say had, automated e-mails going out to say, the export manager.

This was working fine until we out sourced our Exchange server.  Now the SMTP service I was using fails because relays are disabled by the vendor and I was told that this service is required.

So are we dead in the water?  I do not wish to make another messaging system.  The whole purpose was to easily give information to people somewhere where they will be looking anyways.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi MarvelousSoftware,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, the SMTP service you used which fails because relays are disabled by the vendor. Could you connect your vendor to enable? It is a easy way.

If you want to send mail directly without SMTP server, you could try to use DNS lookup in C#. Please refer to the examples in the link below.

https://www.emailarchitect.net/easendmail/kb/csharp.aspx?cat=5

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 10, 2018 6:00 AM
  • Hi Wendy

Thanks for your reply Wendy.  Unfortunately that third party library does not work.

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

I am waiting to see if they wish to use outlook.  The downside is it would require user interaction, but at least it will work.

Thanks

Friday, August 10, 2018 6:58 PM
  • I believe if the receipents of your mails are within private IP ranges (i.e.: either within the same network, or bridged with VPN), you can just set up SMTP server on your localhost.

On Win2003 it should be a setting under IIS, on Win2008 or later it is a seperate item under "Windows Feature".

https://goo.gl/images/5JSyBe

As long as your network admin set up MX record in your domain DNS correctly, it should just work.
    Monday, August 13, 2018 1:51 AM
    Answerer