Membership stuffage RRS feed

• Question

• User344468290 posted

Hi all,

First off, man what a great forum! I've only started using VWDE a little while ago, but this forum has already been a wealth of information! I've even fave'd a lot of solutions for problems I haven't experienced yet, but know I will ;)

I have customized the Club Site into pretty much how I want it to be for my Church, but I'm stuck at this bit and I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. If it's something really silly, please forgive the newbie... :)

I want to be able to restrict access to the Membership areas to just registered Members and then diversify based on roles. However, by default when a visitor creates a login on the login page, it writes the information into the MemberInfo table in the Club.mdf database and the login is auto-approved. By simply creating this login, the user can access all of the restricted pages. I would like to be able to implement an e-mail approval system where the user is created, but not approved until one of our administrators approves it. I thought in the interim I could manage by setting the user.isapproved to false and reviewing new users daily and approving them and assigning the relevant role, but... when users create their own login, it doesn't show up in the aspnet_Membership table of the ASPNETDB.MDF dbase.

I tried going to http://www.aspsksolutions.com/ and downloading the nifty Admin package I've seen lotsa people talk about ('cause after the go-live of this site I'll want to develop a mailing list, newsletter, etc.), but it's not available. The whole site seems to have gone dead since October of last year somewhere.

So, in short, can anyone tell me or show me where to go to:

1) Add an approval flow to the login registration page where the login is created and an e-mail sent to the user and a general admin-addy pending the approval;
    2) Add the site-created users to the ASPNETDB so that they can be assigned to roles or e.g. combine the two DBs so the Member information is posted in one and the same table

If my assumption is correct, once I have this in place we will be able to approve the members and through that restrict access to certain pages that are 'members only' by using the web.config file location path authorization security trimming feature? Thanks for any info you guys could provide. Myself and the congregation of the Church will be most grateful :)

All the best,

Patrick

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 6:55 AM

All replies

• User523970105 posted

You might trying emailing the administrator of http://www.aspsksolutions.com.  I think that he's still around and working on a new version.  I heard that he pulled the package due to some problems experienced by those of us using GoDaddy.  I only ran into one serious problem and eventually managed to find a way around it.  The rest were minor and easily corrected.

If you ask, perhaps he'll be willing to let you have a copy of the old version or can give you some idea of when a new version will be available.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:45 AM
  • User2069888697 posted

The new version is going well, I just need to clean it up. I will also be trying to get in touch with Jeff Harbour who has improved the email verification part.

You can see an example at  http://iconconnections.com/328/Webadmin.aspx

Feel free to add users and try it out, it is a test site. 

If you sign up as a member on my site and send me an email, I will be looking for members to put it through a run through.

I have decided to make the new version free.  I am very grateful to all who have supported me in the past and my site is now self supporting for at least the next 2 years.

The biggest issue has been time and I apologize for not  giving more updates.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 10:58 AM
  • User706866991 posted

MainOne,

Good to see you are still around!  We are anxiously awaiting the Admin upgrade.  Keep us posted and let us know when you  are ready to have testers!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007 8:18 PM