none
How to handle different environments with AI? RRS feed

• Question

• What is the recommended approach for handling different environments within AI? For example, we have sandbox, QA and production deployments of each of our applications (two servers each). How can we keep these different environments separate for each application? And how can we properly match this with the usage tracking? I've looked through some documentation but could not find anything. Thanks!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:43 AM

Answers

• For usage monitoring adding an entry for the server you are connecting to in your Web.Config and using that entry instead of hard coding it in your code makes it much easier to move your application from Dev>QA>Prod and not pollute the data from the different instances of your application.

...This is a common question and I will hopefully get a blog post on it!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:59 PM
  • I ended up handling this via PowerShell on the servers themselves, following the guide here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/11/26/renaming-aliasing-or-coalescing-applications-in-application-insights.aspx

• Marked as answer by jonfreeland Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:23 PM

All replies

• Hello Jonfreeland,

I can suggest using Display Names for Server-side monitoring, e.g:

- MyApp-QA, MyApp-PROD, etc...

This will separate data flows and UI will show data per application environment.

Not sure in usage tracking though... I bet it has ability to specify display names too but I cannot tell if there is a mapping between them (my feeling is that there is something like "identical display names means you see metrics and usage data under the same app in UI" - otherwise the story does not sound complete...)

For On-Premises MMA installation you can use -DisplayName parameter in Start-WebApplicationMonitoring cmdlet.

For Windows Azure PaaS, you can specify display name in CSCFG for the deployment.

P.S. Also, I think it makes sense to wait for other replies, they can bring more light on this environment-related story and provide an easier solution than display names

Dmitry Matveev

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:28 AM
    Owner
  • For usage monitoring adding an entry for the server you are connecting to in your Web.Config and using that entry instead of hard coding it in your code makes it much easier to move your application from Dev>QA>Prod and not pollute the data from the different instances of your application.

...This is a common question and I will hopefully get a blog post on it!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 1:59 PM
  • Hey Charles, thanks for the response. Can you provide more detail on what exactly I should enter in my Web.config? 
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:04 PM
  • I ended up handling this via PowerShell on the servers themselves, following the guide here:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/visualstudioalm/archive/2013/11/26/renaming-aliasing-or-coalescing-applications-in-application-insights.aspx

• Marked as answer by jonfreeland Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, February 26, 2014 4:23 PM