Whicn SQL Ce Version-Format-cab file for Which Windows Phone 5/6 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to install SqlCe 3.1 on my windows Phone 5.0

On SQL Ce

Q2.1 ) Which version of SQl Ce is pre-installed in Windows Phone 5.0?

Q2.2 ) Where Can I find the SQL Ce Cab file in VS2005 or any link for download ?

Q2.3 ) Which Sql Ce Version format is for Windows phone 5.0/6.0 ?
      and which are the cab files I need to copy and paste into windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0

SqlCe.[platform].[processor].cab

Q2.4 ) Can Sql Ce 3.1 run in Sql Ce 3.5 ?

q2.5 ) How do Upgrade SQl Ce 3.0  or 3.1 to work in SQL Ce 3.5?

Q2.6 ) is there a program in MObile Phone that used to check the Sql Ce Version installed?

Thanks

Peace is the fruit of Love
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 2:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1) Found 2 folders namely wce400, wce500 In VS2005
      a) In wce500 : there are cab file :
       sqlce30.phone.wce5.armv4i.CAB
       sqlce30.ppc.wce5.armv4i.CAB
       sqlce30.repl.ppc.wce5.armv4i.CAB
       sqlce30.wce5.armv4i.CAB
      b) In wce400. there are the same format but only differ in wce4

Q1.1) what are these prefixes : PPC, repl, phone?
    Phone cabs are for Windows mobile (Smart Phone) OSes, and PPC is for Windows Mobile OSes. repl includes sqlcecaxx.dll, which is used as client dll in replication. If you do not use replication, and only the local database features, one can use the normal (non repl) cabs.
     Q1.2)  Which CAB file is for Windows Phone 5.0 / 6.0? PPC? wce5? phone?
    For windows phone, sqlce30.PHONE.wce5.armv4i.CAB
     q1.3)  Is repl.ppc.wce5.armv4i.Cab Needed?
    It is needed only if you are using merge replication/RDA at client side.

Just to re-confirm your explanations :

Q2) Database created in SQL Ce 3.1, can it work in Mobile Phone that have Pre-installed Sql Ce 3.0?
    It should work, since there is no database format change between 3.0 and 3.1. But, there is an issue with index creation, please see the following post: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2009/04/01/after-moving-the-database-from-one-platform-to-other-the-first-sqlceconnection-open-takes-more-time.aspx
     Q3) database created in SQL Ce 3.0 AND  3.1 , can they work in Windows Phone with  Pre-Installed SQL Ce 3.5?
         Or install SQL Ce 3.5?
    Database can work, but needs an upgrade step (Database upgrade step)

Thanks
    Udaya

• Proposed as answer by UdayaBG Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by BinaryWave Monday, April 13, 2009 5:21 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Q2.1 ) Which version of SQl Ce is pre-installed in Windows Phone 5.0? 
    WM 5.0 has SQL Server Compact 3.0 pre-installed 
     Q2.2 ) Where Can I find the SQL Ce Cab file in VS2005 or any link for download ?
    The information regarding the location of cabs inside VS is at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms171951(SQL.90).aspx.
     Q2.3 ) Which Sql Ce Version format is for Windows phone 5.0/6.0 ?
      and which are the cab files I need to copy and paste into windows Mobile 5.0 or 6.0
      SqlCe.[platform].[processor].cab
    WM 6.0 has SQL Server Compact 3.0 preinstalled. However, any version 3.0/3.1/3.5 would work in WM 6.0/5.0. Platform would be sqlce.wce600.[processor].cab. The processor depends on the processor being used in the device, like, i486 or armv4i etc... Not only copying, but, you need to install the cab files on the device too.
     Q2.4 ) Can Sql Ce 3.1 run in Sql Ce 3.5 ?
    I did not understand. Is your question, does SQL Server Compact 3.1 be able to run on devices where 3.5 is installed already on ROM? I guess yes, SQL Server Compact 3.1 is tested and released for all these Mobile OSes.
     Q2.5 ) How do Upgrade SQl Ce 3.0  or 3.1 to work in SQL Ce 3.5?
    If you are talking about database upgrade, one can upgrade using SSMS (SQL Server management studio) from 3.1/3.0. For more details, please look at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms172032.aspx. If you are talking about the app upgrade, there are two cases:
         1. Is it a managed app? If so, by linking to the appropriate System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll version, one can upgrade from 3.0/3.1 to 3.5.
         2. If it is a native app, one should use the new COM GUIDs to operate against the COM interfaces exposed on 3.5. One needs to change the GUIDs 
            referenced in the app. 
    These things work only after the 3.5 runtime is installed on the device. Notice that one can side-by-side install SQL Server compact 3.1 (or 3.0) and 3.5 on the same device.
     Q2.6 ) is there a program in MObile Phone that used to check the Sql Ce Version installed?
    I dont think so. But, examining the file versions should tell you which version is installed. 3.5.5300 is the file version (for sqlcese30.dll, for instance), for 3.1 being installed, and (3.5.5386) is the version for SQL Server Compact 3.5 RTM, and 3.5.5692 for 3.5 SP1. For more details, please look at the blog post: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2008/02/08/sql-server-compact-release-versions.aspx

Thanks
    Udaya

• Proposed as answer by UdayaBG Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:10 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 7:10 AM
  • Hi Udaya,

Thank you so much. your help is appreciated.

Have some questions here:

sqlce30.wce5.armv4i.CAB

Q2) Database created in SQL Ce 3.1, can it work in Mobile Phone that have Pre-installed Sql Ce 3.0?

Q3) database created in SQL Ce 3.0 AND  3.1 , can they work in Windows Phone with  Pre-Installed SQL Ce 3.5?
         Or install SQL Ce 3.5?

Thanks.

regards

Peace is the fruit of Love
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 8:43 AM
  • Hi,

sqlce30.wce5.armv4i.CAB

Phone cabs are for Windows mobile (Smart Phone) OSes, and PPC is for Windows Mobile OSes. repl includes sqlcecaxx.dll, which is used as client dll in replication. If you do not use replication, and only the local database features, one can use the normal (non repl) cabs.
    For windows phone, sqlce30.PHONE.wce5.armv4i.CAB
    It is needed only if you are using merge replication/RDA at client side.

It should work, since there is no database format change between 3.0 and 3.1. But, there is an issue with index creation, please see the following post: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlservercompact/archive/2009/04/01/after-moving-the-database-from-one-platform-to-other-the-first-sqlceconnection-open-takes-more-time.aspx
         Or install SQL Ce 3.5?
    Database can work, but needs an upgrade step (Database upgrade step)

Thanks
    Udaya

• Proposed as answer by UdayaBG Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:45 PM
    • Marked as answer by BinaryWave Monday, April 13, 2009 5:21 AM
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 3:45 PM