none
Visual studio freezes windows

Question

• Sometimes when I start my program in Visual studio 2013 windows stops working. All programs stop responding and I must use the power button to turn off my computer. This started happening when I upgraded to windows 10
    Sunday, November 15, 2015 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Np3w,

>> It did not crash in windows safe mode

It seems that it is related to the other software on your machine that leads to the crash. Please make sure that you have disabled your anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Np3w Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:36 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Np3w,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

For this issue, I suggest you could take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

(1) Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files or Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE), and run the following commands:

a.devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.
    b.devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.
    c.devenv.exe /safemode, this can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.

(2) To make sure whether it is related to the installation, I suggest you could go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio to see if it helps.

(3) To make sure whether it is related to the other processes, please launch the Task Manager to end the other processes.

(4) Restart your computer in safe mode, it will exclude the other processes' influlences.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, November 16, 2015 7:08 AM
  • I tested everything and it did not crash windows when in safe mode.
    • Edited by Np3w Monday, November 16, 2015 6:12 PM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Hi Np3w,

If this issue doesn't occur in your computer safe mode, I think it is related to the other process on your machine.

If this issue doesn't occur in visual studio safe mode, please go to Tools -> Add-in Manager, and then disable all the add-ins.

Please go to Tools -> Extensions and Updates, uninstall all the extensions.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 4:49 AM
  • It did not crash in windows safe mode but it did crash in visual studio safe mode. I tried reinstalled visual studio and it continued to happen and I did not have any extensions enabled.

If I enable symbol loading it crashes nearly every time I start my program

• Edited by Np3w Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Hi Np3w,

>> It did not crash in windows safe mode

It seems that it is related to the other software on your machine that leads to the crash. Please make sure that you have disabled your anti-virus or anti-spyware software.

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by Np3w Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:36 PM
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:49 AM
  • I disabled my antivirus and it stopped crashing windows
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 3:36 PM