none
User Settings problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I create addin to Office (outlook, excel, word no matter).

When I set some user setting and compile solution then for a couple waks my addin forget that setings and set default. I do not use any reset or any commend to roll over. Just appliaction forget it not Immediately, but after some unspecified time.

Do someone fight with that?

When I build Windows Application (not VSTO Addin) settings works fine. I'm up to date with VS2017

Oskar Shon, Office System MVP - www.VBATools.pl
    if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

• Edited by VBAToolsMVP Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 2:21 PM

All replies

• Hi VBATools,

I try to make a test on my side.

I am using VS 2017 version below.

I try to set the settings like below.

I try to run projects many time, I also close the solution and reopen it and run it many times.

On my side, It is working properly.

From other old threads, I find that this issue can be occur if Application version gets update or you try to run the Add in on multiple version of the Application.

The work around for this issue can be to create your own settings file. In which you can save the settings and retrieve it when you need it.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 2:33 AM
  • Thnaks Deepak for raply.

I try not to notice this, but from time to time the settings on the running and compiled application are reset.

I also did the export setings to the ini file - so I does, but unfortunately it also disappears, as if the entire application was returning at the initial state (immediately after installation). I see that you use C, I program in VB, maybe only there is this abnormality. I try to look on that problem from namy workstations, so the same.

It happens sometimes after a week of work and sometimes after two. This is not related to any of the cleaning programs, eg killing temporary files.

When it builds applications for windows (eg console or form) it is a reset settings does not take place. This only happends in VSTO office addins

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 6:43 AM
  • Hi VBATools,

I also try to made a test with VB.NET VSTO Project and find that on my side it is not resetting the settings.

I suggest you to check for any pending updates regarding Visual Studio. If you find any then you can try to install and again try to make a test.

If issue persist then try to provide your feedback in link below.

Visual Studio UserVoice

As other work around, You can try to store your settings in external file in your solution.

So If something get reset then also it does not make any change to that external file.

Regards

Deepak 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 30, 2018 6:00 AM
  • I've many project Addins and all has the same problems.

Deepak, you can see unexpected efects ones a week/2 weeks.

I had the same problems on 2010 using W7. I was hoping that it would be corrected by some UPG.

Now I'm asking, because maybe there's another setting I did not know about.

Friday, March 30, 2018 10:35 AM
  • Hi VBATools,

As far as I know, There is no any other settings that can effect the user settings.

Are you using the Win7 with Visual Studio 2017 too?

If you are available with Windows 10 then I suggest you to make a test with Windows 10 with VS 2017 and check whether the issue persist or not. I have doubt that this issue is limited to Win 7 OS.

I can see that you are having same issue with multiple version of Visual Studio.

I suggest you to create an issue in Visual Studio Community.

Visual Studio Developers will try to test the issue and try to fix it if there is any issue.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, April 3, 2018 6:48 AM