chatting with SerialPort, which MS programs (VB/VC/MS Robotics...) are easiest ? RRS feed

• Question

• I am a sys admin for Unix and had NOT been doing VB programming for many years (>8 or so, even then I was a part-timer). I need to write a simple GUI under Windows XP/Vista to send a few commands to a single-chip microprocessor (and its development board) via SerialPort (COMx), or USB if possible, for our engineers. I WAS thinking to use VB6 but come across MS robotics and this forum. Would I be better off to use ms robotics or even other programs to achieve this? Thanks

Monday, October 27, 2008 3:58 PM

Answers

• Based upon the situation you describe I would suggest that you simply use the standard .NET framework and go with either VB or C# (what ever you are more comfortable with) using Windows Forms. My personal preference would be C# (VB isn't my favorite lang. by far) and use the standard System.IO.Ports.SerialPort class to interface to the com port.

Using a USB to serial port converter would give you your USB connectivity without having to worry about finding a USB device that supplies a managed code driver thus avoiding PInvoke. Plus they are cheap and readily available.

I would even suspect that you could find code to do what you are interested in on CodeProject.com.

YMMV

Bryan

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:18 PM