none
Exchange 2007 Mailbox server role installation Requirements! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I am planning to install exchange 2007 Standared editon with Mailbox Role in virtual environment.

Is it OK install the above in Windows 2008 server OS Standard or we must install the above under Windows 2008 server OS enterprise?

NOTE: The main reason for installing the above is to restore mailboxes from backup. Because we have migrated from 2007 to 2010. But when we try restore 2007 mailboxes in Exchange 2010 server.It failed. I checked in variuos sites that we need to rebuild the old exchange 2007 server in order to restore. Hence Rebuilding the server.

Our old Exchange 2007 was in Win 2008 server Enterprise edition.

karthick

Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

if you running exchange 2010 you cannot introduce an exchange 2007 server.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:57 AM
  • Hello,

As mentioned above, there is no option to reintroduce Exchange 2007 server to Exchange 2010 organization. You have some workarounds only, i.e.:
    1. Create separate virtual environment with Exchange 2007, restore data and export it to your organization.
    2. Use 3rd party tools to restore data from offline database.

Hope it helps,
    Adam

CodeTwo: Software solutions for Exchange and Office 365

If this post helps resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Hi Karthick,

You said, you migrated from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010. Was it in the same organization or you migrated from Exchange 2007 to different forest/Exchange organization Exchange 2010? If it is same organization and you just decommissioned Exchange 2007 server from organization then you can install Exchange 2007 back.

But if it is pure Exchange 2010 organization then you can NOT. Reason behind this is Schema/Active Directory needs to be prepared for Exchange 2007 and you can not do that in pure Exchange 2010 organization.

Yes, you can use virtual machine for that, install Exchange 2007 and follow the normal procedure to restore the database in Recovery Storage Group...

http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-server-2007/high-availability-recovery/Working-Recovery-Storage-Groups-Exchange-2007.html

Blog | Get Your Exchange Powershell Tip of the Day from here

Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Hello Amit,

Thanks!

This is our current setup.

We have the below sites in xxx.eee.com Domain

1. IN - Still using Exchange 2007

2. UK - Migrated from Exchange 2007 to 2010

3. Africa - Still using Exchange 2007

I hope i can install Exchange 2007 in UK site.. Am right?

Another Query : What is the difference of  Installing Exchange 2007 in Win2008 Server Enterpraise & Win 2008 Server Standared?

I assume if u want to implement SCR,CCR then we need to use Win2008 Server Enterpraise.... Am right?

Please Clarify!

Friday, August 8, 2014 2:27 AM
  • Yes, right.

If you want to install SCC or CCR then you need clustering components which is available in Enterprise edition of Windows so you can install it on Standard edition if you don't want SCC or CCR. 

PS: You can use SCR on Standard edition of Windows as it doesn't need clustering components...

Blog | Get Your Exchange Powershell Tip of the Day from here

• Marked as answer by KarthickJP Friday, August 8, 2014 5:21 AM
    Friday, August 8, 2014 2:40 AM