SerialPort Class Implementation RRS feed

• Question

•  Help

I am a new user of Visual studio 2005 i used Visual studio 6 before and i have to say that i don't understand some part of this new version.

anyway i'd like to use the class SerialPort  (i believe it is available but maybe not)

Is it possible to use it ?

If it is, what header or library do i have to declare in order to use it?

PS: Why  when the help is filtered to VC++ Only VB JAVA C# examples Come up, is that me  becoming mad?

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 10:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• The SerialPort class belongs to the :NET Framework. If you want to program managed code you can use it.

For unmanageged code use

http://www.naughter.com/serialport.html
    Tuesday, April 25, 2006 4:37 PM
  • That's what i'am using at the minute but i would like to try to use that feature though.

i tried to implement manage code, and  i could include system.dll using '#using' and then 'using namespace system' but not 'using namespace system.IO.ports' as it doesn't accept the '.' within the name.

if i want to use managed  code by changing the option in the project manager what should i do to be able to use the SerialPort class?

Sorry to ask a separate question but how do we implement string in the unmanaged code as CString is not recognised ?

What library should i use?

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 4:57 PM
  • You are not using C# or VB you are using C++ so you have to use ::

using namespace system::IO::ports;

Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:57 PM