locked
The old 'Operation must use and updateable query' error RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-373571878 posted

    Here it is March, so I guess it's time to bring back this old problem again.  I've had it before and using suggestions from hundreds of post I usually got it working. This time is different.

    This database application resides on a Windows 2003 Server IIS 6.

    I can read and update the database from my local PC.
    I can read the database from then intranet but I can not update it.

    I have given Full Control permissions to the following accounts on the folder that has the .mdb database residing in it:

    Administrators
    Anonymous
    ASP.NET
    Creator Owner
    Everyone
    Guest
    ISUR_...
    IWAM_...
    Network Service
    SYSTEM
    USERS

    I have included <identity impersonate="true" /> in my web.config file within <system.web> . 

    IIS 6 access settings are Read/Write.

    What baffles me further is, I have another database sitting on the same server that works. I have no problem updating that one.

    Like the rest who have had this problem in the past, I've been spinning on this for four days.
    If you have any other suggestions, please post. 

    thanks 

     

     

    Friday, March 27, 2009 12:01 PM

Answers

  • User-373571878 posted

    Thanks, 

    The issue is resolved (for now).  I can not pin point it to one specific reason why it works now but here is what we did:

    This was on a Windows 2003 server.

    The database was removed from the web servers local C drive and put on the web servers D drive.

    The actual application folder (with all of the code pages...etc) was also deleted from the C and put on the D drive.

    Virtual settings were then created using the version on the D drive. 

    Reset permissions (the same permissions as before)......recycled IIS....Rebooted Server and the app now works. 

    It was a crazy 6 days trying to figure this one out.  

    We tried backing out some permissions, but with each a different problem arose. Like when we removed Users...we could not even get to the start page....we put that back.

    Tried to remove Everyone's 'full control', when we did that, we could not update the database.

    Did not try to remove IUSR or ASPNet.  

     

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 11:46 AM

All replies

  • User-821857111 posted

    You may also need to give IUSR... modify permissions on the %windir%\temp\ folder.

     

    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:23 PM
  • User-373571878 posted

    Thanks, 

    The issue is resolved (for now).  I can not pin point it to one specific reason why it works now but here is what we did:

    This was on a Windows 2003 server.

    The database was removed from the web servers local C drive and put on the web servers D drive.

    The actual application folder (with all of the code pages...etc) was also deleted from the C and put on the D drive.

    Virtual settings were then created using the version on the D drive. 

    Reset permissions (the same permissions as before)......recycled IIS....Rebooted Server and the app now works. 

    It was a crazy 6 days trying to figure this one out.  

    We tried backing out some permissions, but with each a different problem arose. Like when we removed Users...we could not even get to the start page....we put that back.

    Tried to remove Everyone's 'full control', when we did that, we could not update the database.

    Did not try to remove IUSR or ASPNet.  

     

    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 11:46 AM