Can I make just plain exe, no dll-s in VS 2005? RRS feed

• Question

• I just finished my project in VS 2005. When I compiled a release version, it doesn't work on machines without VS 2005 installed!? Is it even possible to make a exe file and distriubute it without an installer or, God forgive me, .NET framework???
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 4:37 PM

Answers

• As a general rule if you're going to use .NET you're going to have distribute the .NET Framework or ensure the customer has the .NET Framework installed. This applies to every single framework on the face of the earth. A user can't run a
    Win32 app without win32
    A user can't run a MFC application without MFC
    A user can't run a Java Application without Java
    A User can't run a cygwin application without cygwin
    A user can't run a VB6 application without Visual basic.

There are several frameworks out there that you can purchase (costing anywhere from 1-6k I think) that will take out parts of the .NET Framework and shove them into your application. This has lots of downsides that relate to security, updates, cross platform, and cost.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:19 PM

All replies

• As a general rule if you're going to use .NET you're going to have distribute the .NET Framework or ensure the customer has the .NET Framework installed. This applies to every single framework on the face of the earth. A user can't run a
    Win32 app without win32
    A user can't run a MFC application without MFC
    A user can't run a Java Application without Java
    A User can't run a cygwin application without cygwin
    A user can't run a VB6 application without Visual basic.

There are several frameworks out there that you can purchase (costing anywhere from 1-6k I think) that will take out parts of the .NET Framework and shove them into your application. This has lots of downsides that relate to security, updates, cross platform, and cost.

Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:19 PM
  • If you are writing a small application that only depends on the C and C++ runtimes then if you statically link to these runtimes you should be able to copy your executable to another machine and just run it. The same is true if your application only depends on Win32 (assuming the other machine is running Windows).
    Thursday, May 25, 2006 6:02 PM
  • Hey, thank you for your answers! I solved my problem by switching from dynamic library to static, as Jonathan said!
    Friday, May 26, 2006 9:41 AM
  • How do you do that?

Solution Properties -> References ?

Monday, June 12, 2006 11:59 PM